What did you cook/eat today (February 2018)?

Bratfud Bangla chicken curry with masala potatoes and a roti.

with curry and roti 2 s.jpg

IMG_1193.JPG

Chicken Habanero Aji Amarillo Burger. When I made this burger, I said, "This burger is going to hurt me".

I ground a few pounds of chicken thigh in anticipation of the Cooking Challenge, and there was just enough left that wouldn't fit in the container, so I made a burger. I chopped up half a pickled habanero and a small clove of garlic, and added them directly to the meat along with some aji amarillo paste. This is something I tend not to do, since I don't have a way of fixing it if it's too spicy. But, I was inspired by excellent similar creations by Michael Symon and Gordon Ramsay, so I decided to give it a try.

I tasted some of the aji amarillo paste - after making the burger - and realized it was pretty spicy on its own. Figuring I was in trouble, I added sharp cheddar and tomato slices, and put it on a thick sourdough bun. I added cilantro and a squeeze of a lime wedge at the end.

Fortunately - or maybe unfortunately - it didn't hurt me as much as I expected. Whenever I achieve a good balance with something I want to make spicy, I'm always somewhat disappointed that it wasn't spicier. Now that I think on it, I realize that I should be happy that I can taste it. It's quite good.

I had a side of the Asparagus Soup I posted previously, which also helped cool the fire a bit.

Last edited:
I finally made cauliflower steaks tonight. I did a quick marinade (was late) of lemon zest and juice. Microwaved for 3 minutes. Drenched in flour and sumac and put on a hot griddle for a minute on each side. Served with spring greens (and added the tender cauliflower leaves too) stir-fried with chilli and garlic and spring onions. Also a tahini cream with za'atar on top.

Would have looked nicer with a few slices of the red chilli on top of the greens.

cauliflower_steak.jpeg

I finally made cauliflower steaks tonight. I did a quick marinade (was late) of lemon zest and juice. Microwaved for 3 minutes. Drenched in flour and sumac and put on a hot griddle for a minute on each side. Served with spring greens (and added the tender cauliflower leaves too) stir-fried with chilli and garlic and spring onions. Also a tahini cream with za'atar on top.

Would have looked nicer with a few slices of the red chilli on top of the greens.

View attachment 14145

An entry for the Spice Challenge? :hyper:

Dinner last night. The photo is terrible. The steak was medium rare and the potatoes were golden
Don't apologise. We can see its good food. Photos taken in artificial domestic lights will always compromise results. I long for light evenings when I can photograph evening meals in daylight!

View attachment 14141

Chicken Habanero Aji Amarillo Burger. When I made this burger, I said, "This burger is going to hurt me".

I ground a few pounds of chicken thigh in anticipation of the Cooking Challenge, and there was just enough left that wouldn't fit in the container, so I made a burger. I chopped up half a pickled habanero and a small clove of garlic, and added them directly to the meat along with some aji amarillo paste. This is something I tend not to do, since I don't have a way of fixing it if it's too spicy. But, I was inspired by excellent similar creations by Michael Symon and Gordon Ramsay, so I decided to give it a try.

I tasted some of the aji amarillo paste - after making the burger - and realized it was pretty spicy on its own. Figuring I was in trouble, I added sharp cheddar and tomato slices, and put it on a thick sourdough bun. I added cilantro and a squeeze of a lime wedge at the end.

Fortunately - or maybe unfortunately - it didn't hurt me as much as I expected. Whenever I achieve a good balance with something I want to make spicy, I'm somewhat disappointed that it wasn't spicier. Now that I think on it, I realize that I should be happy that I can taste it. It's quite good.

I had a side of the Asparagus Soup I posted previously, which also helped cool the fire a bit.

Is this also a Recipe Challenge entry? :)

Sunday night's dinner was gammon with boiled potatoes, carrots, and cime di rapa, with a dollop of butter on the totties and a dollop of English mustard for the gammon. The cime di rapa was in full flower; it seemed a pity to cook it.

Cime di rapa with gammon.jpg

Tonight I had a spicy green veg soup (onions, leeks, broccoli, courgette, and peas, with garlic, ginger, cinnamon stick, cumin seeds and dill) with a chunk of freshly made sourdough bread.

Spicy green veg soup.jpg

Back
Top Bottom