What did you cook/eat today (July 2017)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMG_0822.JPG

I spent a fair amount of time talking about New Orleans, taking pictures of New Orleans, and trying to duplicate the tastes of New Orleans, but mostly neglected the Mexico part of my trip. Mostly. Here, I make what looks like a standard burrito, but inside I used cheddar and a homemade sausage seasoned with parsley, Calabrian chili peppers, and ras el hanout. So, it's Mexico by way of the Mediterranean. I then pan fried the marriage of two cultures, and topped it with massive amounts of guacamole and light sour cream <<-- I'm obviously still in denial that what I'm eating might possibly consist of literally every other component that's not exactly healthy (oil, cheese, and sausage, but the sour cream is good for me at least! :laugh: )

Well now,
I shall put some chicken stock in a pan, add celery, onions, red and green bell peppers to it. Would add garlic but I put it in when I made the chicken broth. I will then add some chicken, and later smoked sausage, okra and rice.
And some cayenne pepper.

Sounds deelish, Cin.
Do you sweat your veggies first, or do they go straight into the stock?

Also, how thick does it get? Does the okra help with that?

I made Unaju (bbq sauced conger eel over short grain rice) for lunch for my boy and I today.

Football practice tonight, so dinner will be early, and light. It's almost 33 C here today. Pads and helmets should be fun.

I'm thinking grilled chicken sausages, onions, and red bell peppers with a side salad.

Sounds deelish, Cin.
Do you sweat your veggies first, or do they go straight into the stock?

Also, how thick does it get? Does the okra help with that?
I just throw everything in pot. Thickness depends more on the ratio of stock to ingredients but it is pretty thick.

Thanks. I'm interested in trying this. We love a good jambalaya.

Last edited:
@Elawin, looking at your food photo has me wanting to push the bowl of raita back further on the rack...

I love listening to baseball and hockey games on the radio. There's something about your mind's eye seeing the game that makes it exciting, and brings back fond memories of my childhood. Hiding under the covers in bed with a monaural earbud in my ear connected to a palm sized transistor radio so my parents wouldn't know that I was still awake.

Or long car rides with a game on the radio. The miles pass so much better that way, when your eyes are on the road but your mind is cheering in the stands.
I know! Same here with the radio, but Mom knew and didn't give me grief. Back in the late 50's through half the 60's I remember listening to games from Boston, Detroit, and Houston by getting the signal from those cities! (Love the AM radio signal bounce.) Those weren't Cleveland Indians games, but they were baseball. :happy: As long as you have a great announcer for a team, you really don't need to watch a game on TV since the good ones can paint a vivid picture of the game for you in your head.

Tonight's supper is still up in the air - either a large dinner salad or (finally) grilled hot dogs. It's still not "crunch time" at 7:20 PM, since we tend to "Dine at Nine" like the rich folks! OK, we aren't rich. It's more a case of our bodies being in the Eastern time zone but our schedule running on Hawaiian time. It's only 1:20 PM there.

@Elawin, looking at your food photo has me wanting to push the bowl of raita back further on the rack....

:D Although it doesn't show up very well, the outer edge of the rack is quite thick, so the bowl is sloping backwards slightly.

I know! Same here with the radio, but Mom knew and didn't give me grief. Back in the late 50's through half the 60's I remember listening to games from Boston, Detroit, and Houston by getting the signal from those cities! (Love the AM radio signal bounce.) Those weren't Cleveland Indians games, but they were baseball. :happy: As long as you have a great announcer for a team, you really don't need to watch a game on TV since the good ones can paint a vivid picture of the game for you in your head.

We used to listen to pirate radio stations, especially in our Latin lessons - the teacher was rather hard of hearing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom