What did you cook/eat today (May 2018)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Craig made tasso pasta, which is julienned tasso ham, carrots, green and yellow squash, onions, a bit of minced garlic in a parm/cream sauce over pasta. It's a variation of a Paul Prudhomme recipe and a favorite.

Gooey butter cake for dessert. Wow, I forgot how rich it is.

2018-05-21 17.45.46.jpg

Last edited:
Very interesting take on White Borscht. I've never seen it creamy looking, although I could go for a bowl of that right now. It's crappy, cold, and rainy out.

My dinner last night at work was leftover meatball parm and a mix of fettucini, linguini, and tagliatelle. My wife has an annoying habit of leaving just a small portion of each type of pasta in tjeir respective boxes instead of just cooking it, so I boiled the remnants together since they are so similar. It worked out OK. (don't try it with rigatoni, farfalle, and cavatelli... They don't play well together.)

0522180012_HDR.jpg

Very interesting take on White Borscht. I've never seen it creamy looking, although I could go for a bowl of that right now. It's crappy, cold, and rainy out.
I looked up lots of recipes and then sort of winged it - but many of them included sour cream and potato, which is what makes it creamy.

Here is a screen shot of a simple image search for 'White Borscht' and apart from the errant red ones they all look quite creamy:

Screen Shot 2018-05-22 at 16.36.38.png

Homemade deviled ham, using up some of the Easter ham with alfalfa sprouts on toasted potato rolls, macaroni salad with yellow and red bell peppers, onions, celery, and shrimp.

2018-05-22 17.26.11.jpg

Last edited:
I looked up lots of recipes and then sort of winged it - but many of them included sour cream and potato, which is what makes it creamy.

Here is a screen shot of a simple image search for 'White Borscht' and apart from the errant red ones they all look quite creamy:

View attachment 16280

Yes, I see. Maybe I've only had a regional thing from my wife's Slovakian relatives. In "ours" sour cream was optional and added ad a dollop in the center (as opposed to the other ingredients that were unceremoniously torn apart and chucked in)

The rolls were bought. Deviled ham is a mixture of ham, onions, gherkins, worcestershire, various spices and other things depending on recipe you use that is processed in a food processor until it's all ground up together. The ham mixture is the stuff under the sprouts.

The ham mixture is the stuff under the sprouts.
Ah! I see now - I was thinking that devilled ham was ham baked or cured in spices. I've never come across this before. Its certainly not something we get in the UK.
Today's egg burger.

Ketchup and shallots, beef burger and pickled gherkins, fried duck egg. (I'd run out of tomatoes).

View attachment 16286

Fantastic egg bleed.

Massive excuses for today's steak.

My wife was out eating with her mates so I was cooking alone. That normally would not make any difference but I was in a rush in order to watch Monaco FP1 and then the heavens open and it went virtually pitch black. The steak was slightly overcooked (verging on medium) and the image was captured inside in the dark (almost) with a 25 second exposure.

Fillet May s.jpg

50 mm prime lens, tripod mounted, f9; 25 secs, ISO 200.

Massive excuses for today's steak.

My wife was out eating with her mates so I was cooking alone. That normally would not make any difference but I was in a rush in order to watch Monaco FP1 and then the heavens open and it went virtually pitch black. The steak was slightly overcooked (verging on medium) and the image was captured inside in the dark (almost) with a 25 second exposure.

View attachment 16298

50 mm prime lens, tripod mounted, f9; 25 secs, ISO 200.

A bit of jiggery pokery using Mac tools - but I don't mind your version. Its 'moody' :).

fullsizeoutput_3480.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom