Not open for further replies.
Turkey with corn on the cob, zukes, and roasted Romain/ radish salad

20180506_145154.jpg
20180506_151020.jpg
20180506_162202.jpg
20180506_172158.jpg
20180506_174012.jpg
20180506_174847.jpg

Lebanese (I think) grilled chicken with flatbreads and 3 different sauces, a tomato based sauce, a garlic based sauce, and a parsley/cilantro based sauce. The chicken got spatchcocked and had a marinade of coriander seed, a WHOLE bunch of garlic, turmeric, olive and grapeseed oils poured over and rubbed into, then covered and refrigerated since late yesterday afternoon. It's out of the Food and Wine mag May issue. Flat breads to go with.

2018-05-06 17.55.27.jpg

2018-05-06 17.56.08.jpg

AB74527F-C21E-414C-8271-8C1C9516319D.jpeg

Here is where the pros completely blow me away. This was at Lumen, a hot and trendy new restaurant in Detroit. We started with the soft pretzels, with a beer cheese and spicy mustard to dip. Excellent.

3428678E-B2B4-4DD7-8469-9D6E40FF9A7A.jpeg

My main dish was breaded pork chops, with a red cabbage bacon sauerkraut, and crispy potato wedges. I’m usually disappointed by porkchops, because they’re too dry, but this was flawless.

E50B20FD-441A-4C1C-B6B2-A71477FA2043.jpeg

We ended with an ice cream-stuffed chocolate cream puff. Completely unnecessary, but a delicious way to end the meal.

Yeah…this was way outside of my new dietary limits. :laugh:

Last edited:
It looks like the storm has bypassed us so I managed one image. I've only eaten three (out of the five out of the ten) - leaving the other two for a cold supper. They are just as good cold!

Ate the remaining five today. The spicyness has increased somewhat after they spent 3 days in the fridge. Very nice indeed.

No pictures, no point.

This was at Lumen, a hot and trendy new restaurant in Detroit. We started with the soft pretzels,

How big are those pretzels? I've never seen them like that - always like this. Have you ever tried making pretzels? Its on that 'backlog recipe' list of mine!

alton-brown-soft-pretzels.jpg

I am sure this was all delicious - but can I be a tad critical and say that for a hot and trendy restaurant the presentation is not very impressive?

How big are those pretzels? I've never seen them like that - always like this. Have you ever tried making pretzels? Its on that 'backlog recipe' list of mine!

View attachment 15987

I am sure this was all delicious - but can I be a tad critical and say that for a hot and trendy restaurant the presentation is not very impressive?
The soft pretzels on the plate were like mini-baguettes: about 6 inches long. And. maybe the presentation of the pretzels wasn't inspired, but I think the pork chop plate was pretty.

IMG_1407.JPG

Ever since the Boeuf Bourguignon Cookalong, I keep coming back to this. I considered making this in a slow cooker, and having it ready in the morning. But, I got impatient, so I cooked it in a pressure cooker. Interesting how the beef looks raw here, but that's actually just from the wine.

I managed to make it healthier than before by skipping the oil, and cooking everything in the rendered bacon fat. I also used a reduced calorie red wine, and decided I didn't need the flour: it thickened perfectly the way I did it. After the prep work, it was 20 minutes of cooking/searing with the top open, and another 12 minutes with the pressure cooker sealed, and I was enjoying this over a delicious bed of farro.

Beef Bourguignon Nutrition.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom