What did you cook/eat today (November 2017)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tonight is pheasant (I'm at my friend's house in Saffron Walden). We got 3 pheasants for £10 at the local butchers which is pretty good value. I'm pot roasting the pheasant on a bed of carrots and onion, with juniper berries, sherry, garlic, rosemary with a little cream added at the end and served up with mashed parsnips.

Today we are headed to Gerona, 1 hour north of Barcelona, to do some Christmas Shopping and shall have lunch on a car free cobblestone narrow Street in the historic district .. We plan to share a traditional Paella Fideuà Marinara ( a noodle Paella with shellfish only ) ..

@ElizabethB & @morning glory

Thank you Ladies .. A very nice day indeed ..

Tonight is pheasant (I'm at my friend's house in Saffron Walden). We got 3 pheasants for £10 at the local butchers which is pretty good value. I'm pot roasting the pheasant on a bed of carrots and onion, with juniper berries, sherry, garlic, rosemary with a little cream added at the end and served up with mashed parsnips.

@morning glory

I am a grand fan of pheasant especially freshly hunted .. Normally, we prepare it similar yet a bit different. It is quite a popular French & Northern Catalan classic with White Wine (a Burgundy from France ) ..

This evening my husband served braised beef and carrots, it was in a very low oven for a few hours so it fell apart and didn't need cutting

P_20171126_173820.jpg

@morning glory
This was the first year in several years that G did not make his annual pheasant hunting trip to South Dakota. The first year I cooked a couple of birds in the oven. Shoe leather. Since then we smoke some and freeze some fresh for gumbo. I never thought of pot roasting the birds - maybe even braising for several hours. I will try again. Thanks for the idea.

@Lullabelle - I love braising. G's favorite is braised beef short ribs. I also make "Poor Man" Osso Buco using pork shank. I marinade chicken thighs in Balsam Vinegar then braise.

Breakfast was a bit different this morning. I had a couple of leftover flat breads, which I had stored in the bread bin. I filled them with cheese, rolled them up like pancakes, and reheated them. Delicious, and a great change from muesli.

@morning glory
This was the first year in several years that G did not make his annual pheasant hunting trip to South Dakota. The first year I cooked a couple of birds in the oven. Shoe leather. Since then we smoke some and freeze some fresh for gumbo. I never thought of pot roasting the birds - maybe even braising for several hours. I will try again. Thanks for the idea.

It was delicious and not at all 'shoe leathery'. I did take some photos but not very good ones as they were in artificial light (under the cooker hood). I'll download them...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom