What did you cook/eat today (November 2017)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately, very little and nothing interesting ..

I caught a terrible cold and it is just some home made chicken soup from home made stock / broth with "vermecilli noodles" and a ginger peeled and boiled in wáter to créate an herbal infusión and fresh honey from farm near by .. So, I am feeling a little better but appetite is on very limited ..

I hope you feel better soon @Francesca.

On Sunday afternoons, I quite often cook something that will last for two or three days. What you see below is a very simple concoction, but it has a certain amount of versatility. You can have it with rice, as shown, or you can add a little water and have it as soup with crusty bread. In fact, this one lasted three days, so it was rice on days one and three, and soup on day two.

One of the other good things about preparing things in advance is that the spice and stronger tastes have time to infuse. There isn't an awful lot in here; red lentils, onions, mushrooms, tomatoes, garlic and ginger. Then you can do as you wish with spices - sometimes it's nice to have a curry tinge, but on this occasion, some African hot pepper gave it some zing. Just the thing for a chilly day.

001.JPG

Salad again for lunch... And another double yolker :oops:

View attachment 11328

So, lettuce, carrot, celery, grapes, dates, spring onion, mushroom, tamari almonds, tomatoes, green olives, red and green peppers and hummus. I finished off with a golden nugget orange and a few pieces (tiny scraps) of freshly grated coconut.

Me too, at least provided I don't consider that the Japanese recommend something like 20 portions of fruit and veg a day rather than the paltry 5 that is the UK recommended. I think by the end of the day I will be around the 12 or 13 mark, maybe. I'm not certain how many are recommend in Australia. It's it also 5?

@Francesca best wishes and get well soon.

I believe we are up to 7 veg & 3 fruit now. 1/2 cup per serve approx.

They had spicy tuna pasta while I went to class tonight. I had a bowl of salad with some chicken dressed with sesame soy dressing as a late lunch before I went. I'm having a glass of shiraz now before I go to bed.

Beautiful!

You must have a special pan to get those lovely ridges.
I think that's wishful thinking... I recognised that last of the bread immediately. They sell it in Waitrose and if I thought I could very it through customs (actually it probably would pass through customs) I get it delivered here. The bread is very much a northern hemisphere thing. When you can find someone selling anything vaguely like eye bread it is soft and squidgy here, not the nice hard, dark rye bread that I live so much. I think I could become a baker if we stay here much longer!

Those lines will also be cut not the effect of a tin.

I think that's wishful thinking... I recognised that last of the bread immediately. They sell it in Waitrose and if I thought I could very it through customs (actually it probably would pass through customs) I get it delivered here. The bread is very much a northern hemisphere thing. When you can find someone selling anything vaguely like eye bread it is soft and squidgy here, not the nice hard, dark rye bread that I live so much. I think I could become a baker if we stay here much longer!

Those lines will also be cut not the effect of a tin.

Wrong on both counts @SatNavSaysStraightOn. :D Baked it myself using a banneton to rise the dough - see above. If you dust the banneton with flour it makes the ridges stand out visually. You can even see the traces of flour in the banneton....

The bread looks very nice, but I couldn't help but notice how the breadboard has "BREAD" all around it in screaming capitals. I suppose this is handy in case anyone should forget its purpose.

:laugh: Its not my bread board - I asked my friend and he says he has no idea where it came from. He thinks it might have been left in the house when he moved in. I do have a pot on my kitchen counter which says 'UTENSILS' though.

The bread looks very nice, but I couldn't help but notice how the breadboard has "BREAD" all around it in screaming capitals. I suppose this is handy in case anyone should forget its purpose.
There's a restaurant wholesaler place in Sydney - sells industrial appliances and commercial but very beautiful crockery etc. They are open to the public so keep some novelty things and one thing I saw near the colour coded commercial kitchen cutting boards were timber ones inscribed thus - bread, poultry, meat, fish & veg - gorgeous

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom