What did you cook/eat today (September 2017)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you eat some too? And are those fresh soya beans?

No I didn't. The beans are ฝักกระถิน (krathin - white leadtree beans apparently). They grow in the back field.

Krathin s.jpg

Lunch today I really don't know, maybe a club sandwich eaten in front of my PC. But for dinner tonight my hubby will pick me up at work to go to Indian restaurant...again. :dance:

For my UK wife's 40th birthday (which was some time ago) we had local Indian restaurant caterers who delivered and served the food. Delicious.

I got the idea from a wedding that we attended in North London where the bride and groom and the caterers were Indian. That was unbelievable!

For my UK wife's 40th birthday (which was some time ago) we had local Indian restaurant caterers who delivered and served the food. Delicious.

There was also an amusing story to that party. At about midnight the local police sergeant (female) arrived with a young constable (male) saying there had been complaints from the neighbours about the noise. My wife's mate made a beeline for the young bobby saying "You're a strippergram aren't you? Come on, get them off" and went for his tunic buttons. He was in panic mode because his sergeant was not coming to his assistance.

Obviously it had all been set up beforehand (we lived in a very small community).

IMG_0885.JPG

Pork Dim Sum with Thai Coconut Soup. It's good to be "home"! I've always felt a connection with Asian food, and I was happy to have time to make some admittedly sloppy dim sum dumplings: I realized as I was making them that the quality of the folds wasn't good. Then, I remembered that this isn't for a cooking competition, so I forgave myself. :laugh:

That purplish color you see is red cabbage, and the dark green is from beet greens: while good form also usually calls for the contents to be visible only when you cut them open, I like that look. I almost bought ginger at the market this week, then I remembered that I went on this loony - but effective - quest to make ginger eggs, so I had plenty of ginger for this recipe.

I also made a fantastic dipping sauce from a combination of rice vinegar, lime juice, fish sauce, toasted sesame oil, sriracha, and hoisin sauce. So good that I almost wish I had brought a straw.

Last edited:
Wow...very nice. These both look great. But, how does vegan cheese taste? If it's like cheese the same way that vegan bacon is like bacon, then :yuck:

It can be ghastly - we have tried several brands and settled on the only one that he likes. It tastes like very mild processed cheese. Not unpleasant - but not really very cheesy.

Pork Dim Sum with Thai Coconut Soup. It's good to be "home"! I've always felt a connection with Asian food, and I was happy to have time to make some admittedly sloppy dim sum dumplings: I realized as I was making them that the quality of the folds wasn't good. Then, I remembered that this isn't for a cooking competition, so I forgave myself

I'm impressed! And I want some please.

Tuesday night's dinner (after all the kerfuffle of taking THAT cat to the vet) was penne with a simple tomato sauce (onions, fresh tomatoes, garlic, basil, black pepper, and a pinch of crushed chilli), followed by the last of the fresh plums.

Did a little housecleaning in our daughter's fridge and freezer, seeing as how we hit the road to home on Wednesday. I made a pot of chili...and promptly missed all the extra seasonings that are back in my own spice cupboard/drawer. No Mexican oregano, no epazote, no crushed red peppers, no cocoa... *sigh*

Best part of supper was sitting down with our lovely daughter and enjoying each other's company. After having a tooth extracted on Tuesday, we hope our son will be receiving visitors so that we can say "hi and bye" on our way out of town. If not, I'll console myself with the thought that we'll be back in just over three months to spend the holidays with them. :love:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom