What did you cook/eat today (September 2017)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
@The Late Night Gourmet, I am confused about kimchi. I have been watching several TV shows about Korean cooking where kimchi features large. My understanding is that kimchi = fermented. Usually its cabbage but it can be other veg. The cabbage is salted and left overnight (or longer). That is stage 1 of the fermentation. Then the salt is rinsed off and chilli and other spices added between the cabbage leaves. Then it gets packed in a box and left to ferment for x number of days.

So how did you make kimchi so quickly?
Didn't we have this same conversation a few months ago? Anyway, I neglected to mention two things
  1. Part of the process involves letting the (essentially) pickled radish and carrots sit at room temp for a while. This, I think, is where the fermentation takes place. The longer it sits, the better the flavor (up to a point).
  2. I'm usually impatient, so I want to try some immediately, and then again each day. I put it away after 24 hours. The flavor is better after a day on the counter, and I have to think it's because fermentation allows the flavors to develop.
Homemade kimchi is literally something I always have on-hand, but tabbouleh is getting to be the same way lately.

Dinner...dinner. Well, I got a late start running errands, took longer than I thought, and thankfully came home to leftovers. We finished off the smothered chicken, and had a lot of fresh cooked broccoli. Lots of broccoli. Can you tell that broccoli is cheap by us right now?

20170922_225602.jpg

1. I'm usually impatient, so I want to try some immediately, and then again each day. I put it away after 24 hours. The flavor is better after a day on the counter, and I have to think it's because fermentation allows the flavors to develop.
No doubt you would be very frustrated preparing my recipe for "Lime Pickle".

Didn't we have this same conversation a few months ago? Anyway, I neglected to mention two things
  1. Part of the process involves letting the (essentially) pickled radish and carrots sit at room temp for a while. This, I think, is where the fermentation takes place. The longer it sits, the better the flavor (up to a point).
  2. I'm usually impatient, so I want to try some immediately, and then again each day. I put it away after 24 hours. The flavor is better after a day on the counter, and I have to think it's because fermentation allows the flavors to develop.
Homemade kimchi is literally something I always have on-hand, but tabbouleh is getting to be the same way lately.

Sorry - I have no doubt you are right that we discussed this before. The old brain cells...

Dinner...dinner. Well, I got a late start running errands, took longer than I thought, and thankfully came home to leftovers. We finished off the smothered chicken, and had a lot of fresh cooked broccoli. Lots of broccoli. Can you tell that broccoli is cheap by us right now?

View attachment 10544

That is a lot of broccoli! How do you cook it - do you steam it?

Delicious - and I imagine quite easy to make. What are the 4 cheeses?

P.S. Did you mean to post the photos as thumbnails?

Cheeses are: gorgonzola, grated Parmesan, fontina and fiore sardo. I've melted them with a bit of milk. No salt added. A pinch of grated nutmeg.
Yes I meant to posted pics as thumbnails but something doesn't works.

Cheeses are: gorgonzola, grated Parmesan, fontina and fiore sardo. I've melted them with a bit of milk. No salt added. A pinch of grated nutmeg.
Yes I meant to posted pics as thumbnails but something doesn't works.

That cheese sauce sounds fantastic. I make one like that but with just gorgonzola.

You have posted the photos as thumbnails. That is why they are small. If you want them full size then you can change them by editing the post.

Many great meals have been eaten during my absence. September is full of birthdays for me, mine included, so I will spam you guys with posts trying to catch up.

Friends & I have visited Red Lantern, owned & operated by Luke Nguyen an Aussie chef with a Vietnamese background whose food is next level. A meal I will remember forever I think. The service perfect.

I've made up some collages so I'm not inserting too many images.

IMG_6984.JPG
IMG_6983.JPG
IMG_6985.JPG
IMG_6986.JPG

I'm just going to say 'Wow!'.

Friends & I have visited Red Lantern, owned & operated by Luke Nguyen an Aussie chef with a Vietnamese background whose food is next level. A meal I will remember forever I think. The service perfect.

I too have been watching Luke Nguyen cooking programmes. Some of the best TV cooking series I have seen. I would love to eat at his restaurant. I am jealous!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom