What did you cook or eat today (April 2019)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was supposed to make it for Recipe Challenge (Grapes) deadline but missed! Waldorf salad:

fullsizeoutput_45d8.jpeg

Salmon with Peppercorn Crust and Mango Salsa. From Readers Digest Good Food.
I know I've done this one before but this was one of the variants on the recipe in the book using whole pickled pink peppercorns in the salsa. One of the things I like about this book is that each recipe has at least one suggested variant to try. The next and last, tomorrow's meal, is done with a horseradish and crumb crust.

DSC_1021.jpg
DSC_1017.jpg

Salmon with Peppercorn Crust and Mango Salsa. From Readers Digest Good Food.
I know I've done this one before but this was one of the variants on the recipe in the book using whole pickled pink peppercorns in the salsa. One of the things I like about this book is that each recipe has at least one suggested variant to try. The next and last, tomorrow's meal, is done with a horseradish and crumb crust.

View attachment 23779 View attachment 23780

It does look good. Variations on a recipe are really useful. I should consider that more when developing recipes. I often consider 'a vegan/veggie' variation but not so much any other variations.

This was supposed to make it for Recipe Challenge (Grapes) deadline but missed! Waldorf salad:

View attachment 23778

I love walnuts, I've been trying to find some locally but everyone wants big money for them, like $30 for a small bag!!
We used to get marshmallow biscuits here with a half walnut on top. I loved them. O.s.h put a stop to that.lol.

Russ

I love walnuts, I've been trying to find some locally but everyone wants big money for them, like $30 for a small bag!!
We used to get marshmallow biscuits here with a half walnut on top. I loved them. O.s.h put a stop to that.lol.

Russ

Oh - they are a little more expensive here than some nuts but they are sold as 'baking ingredients' in all supermarkets and very affordable. £1.30 for 100g at Tescos ($2.52 in NZ money).

Screen Shot 2019-04-18 at 23.20.24.png

Last edited:
My friend also wants me to do pickled walnuts, apparently done with shell on and have to be picked at the right time. I've never tried them however.

Russ

My friend also wants me to do pickled walnuts, apparently done with shell on and have to be picked at the right time. I've never tried them however.

Russ

There are brilliant pickled walnuts produced by Opies in the UK . I use them often and they are amazing. You need to pick and pickle when the walnut is young and green and before the shell forms. I used them in this recipe here.

13938011_0_640x640.jpg

Last edited:
Ottolenghi's braised eggs with leeks, spinach and za'atar. Avocado toast with pistachio dukkah on top.

View attachment 23785

I really really do have to get that cookbook! Lovely! (I can no longer eat pistachios but I should be able to find something to sub in, with a crunch.)

I really really do have to get that cookbook! Lovely! (I can no longer eat pistachios but I should be able to find something to sub in, with a crunch.)

Dukkah can be made with many nuts. I just used pistachios because they are a fave of Craig's. The dukkah is from Food52. We went for brunch a couple of weeks ago and I had avocado toast with dukkah and poached eggs. I had forgotten how much I loved dukkah when I first had it, and I LOVED the avocado toast with it. It seemed to be a perfect side to our main.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom