What did you cook or eat today (April 2019)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking to make whole prawn spring rolls with sweet and sour dip. The recipes that I have found for the dip contain a lot of sugar which I would normally half as a minimum. However, I would prefer to use honey (as I have a glut of it). I am led to believe that to substitute honey for sugar and still retain the "sweetness" required, the rule of thumb is 50% honey.

Has anyone any experience of this substitution?

Last edited:
Spicy Sausage Paprikash. From Readers Digest Fast Healthy food.
Holy heck, this was spicy hot. I unsuspectingly took one mouthful and started hiccoughing. Mouth and lips were on fire by the time I'd finished! Will definitely do this again though, but will slightly moderate the spice the next time.

View attachment 23474
20190408_185913.jpg
Did you need one of these....? :eek::wink:

Chicken supreme. I ate one spoonful and thought, "Oh dear, that's a bit bland".

However, it's all I had to eat and it wasn't unpleasant. I had another spoonful and then gobbled the rest down. Albeit bland, very moreish.

The ingredients.

Looks really good. Sometimes 'bland' or as I like to call it 'subtle taste' is what it is. I don't know about anyone else but I'm sometimes guilty of needing every dish I cook to be an 'angels dancing on my tongue taste experience' when, in reality, sometimes chicken supreme is just chicken supreme, a Victoria sponge is just a Victoria sponge.

I think the proof of the pudding is that, as you say, it was very moreish.

At work on late shift so nuked some leftover hot bacon loaf, did some instant mash and some baked beans.
Same meal as my last late!

Last night, Beefsteak Hotpot, from an oldish book called (something like) Ideal Kitchen All Colour Cookbook.

Was very good, worked really well as a recipe and lends itself admirably to 'tweaking'. If I was cooking this again I'd probably up the nutmeg and pepper a touch and maybe vary the root veg.

DSC_1006-2.jpg
DSC_1009-01.jpg

Southern American fish fry, fish (cod in this case), hushpuppies and fries. Normally, there would be coleslaw, but we didn't get any. Tartar sauce is a bit different from norm in that it's roasted garlic tartar sauce, which became Craig's go to after the first time we made it.
2019-04-08 18.58.01.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom