What did you cook or eat today (June 2018)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
2:06 PM
Each month, we start a new thread called "What did you cook/eat today?"

Tell what you have cooked or eaten on that day. As simple as that. The thread is simply to show what you have prepared and/or eaten because it varies so much from person to person and from country to country. Feel free to cover any snack that you have eaten during the day.

And we love to see photos if you have them.

Last edited:
So far today - its only an hour into the 1st of June so its 1 am here, I've eaten a mini Baby Bel (lite). Next up is mushroom soup. Then zzz...

We went out for a meal last night. we had planned to use a new restaurant (new to us) and go Chinese/Hong Kong vegan but because of the time of my consultants appointment and the fact that we got out in front of the 'rush' hour traffic, we were there before they opened at 5:30pm... so we went Vietnamese Vegan instead.

So if I can remember what I had....
something called Crispy Goose which was fried battered soya bean curd skin (which is called Yuba) with a sticky plum sauce and crispy mushrooms balls in a plum sauce served with steamed brown rice. It was good and I think we shall visit again.

So if I can remember what I had....
something called Crispy Goose which was fried battered soya bean curd skin (which is called Yuba) with a sticky plum sauce and crispy mushrooms balls in a plum sauce served with steamed brown rice. It was good and I think we shall visit again.

Sounds lovely.

:whistling: :whistling:

[I needed to post something so that this becomes one of my "watched threads"]

I needed to post something so that this becomes one of my "watched threads"
and no you don't.

You can watch any thread without participation by clicking on the watch thread link at the top right hand side of the first post in the thread... you will then get a screen giving you 2 options, watch with email notification and watch with alerts only... your choice if you want to fill your inbox with emails....

https://www.cookingbites.com/thread...ads-replies-or-tags-and-more.8045/#post-82678

somehow I think you might be being sarcastic here....

Me? Never!

jerry.gif

Pastelon, which is sort of a Puerto Rican or Dominican moussaka. It uses fried ripe plantains as the noodles, picadillo as the meat filling, a Latin mozzarella type cheese, and beaten seasoned eggs as the bechemel.

The picadillo is made with ground beef, various seasonings, green pimento stuffed olives, tomato paste, raisins and sofrito. Sofrito is made up of various peppers, onions, garlic, cilantro and culantro.

We were supposed to have a sliced avocado and red onion salad dressed with lime juice, olive oil, s and p, but for some reason Craig decided to mash the avocado.

2018-06-01 17.50.15.jpg

Pastelon, which is sort of a Puerto Rican or Dominican moussaka. It uses fried ripe plantains as the noodles, picadillo as the meat filling, a Latin mozzarella type cheese, and beaten seasoned eggs as the bechemel.

This is an interesting dish to me. So different from that which I know. :)

This is an interesting dish to me. So different from that which I know. :)

It was a new dish for us. Craig came across it and wanted to try it. We've made picadillo and plantains before, both ripe and unripe. And we've made sofrito for various dishes before, but never combined them all in 1 dish. It was pretty darn.good, but I think I would make 2 pans of it next time, with 1 going in the freezer, because it was a lot of work for 1 meal.

It was rather late when I had dinner, so I had a couple of sausages, dry fried egg, with lettuce, tomato and mustard, and two rather thick slices of home-made bread (tin loaf made with sourdough starter). Delicious!

Tomorrow I'm hosting a surprise diaper poker party for a good friend of mine. I'm serving brats onions and sauerkraut, pasta salad, and roasted red potatoes.

I like to soak the onions in beer overnight then cook the brats and onions in the beer until the brats are almost done. Then I transfer to the charcoal grill and leave the onions in the beer

20180601_204009.jpg

20180601_182622.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The bits for this afternoon's curry.....

Ingredients 4 s.jpg

[Chicken, baby corn, bamboo shoots, straw mushrooms, fish sauce, chilli paste, kaffir lime leaves, holy basil leaves, galangal, fresh chillis and yardlong beans.]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom