What did you cook or eat today (May 2024)?

I made a fresh tomato sauce with basil and oregano, pasta, topped with parmesan, and a fresh green salad. Cost me about $2 a head. I think that's the least I can do.
My mom would feed anybody working anywhere near. There were enough of us that we rarely had to hire anyone to do anything, but if Mom noticed a road crew working on our road, doing repairs or trimming trees, she’d kick into gear and make a giant meal, pack it in a big cardboard box, and have me foot it down to them.

I try and do that here whenever possible; like you, it seems the proper thing to do. When we had our kitchen backsplash installed, we got pizza for them, and set up a spot in the garage for them to eat out of the weather, and we had some minor repairs done to the house a few years ago, and I stuck a cooler out there, filled with cold drinks and a big basket of snacks and fruit.

We’ve got guys laying high-speed fiber wire on our road, and I’ve taken them out drinks on occasion. They’ve been out there since last year!

My mom would feed anybody working anywhere near. There were enough of us that we rarely had to hire anyone to do anything, but if Mom noticed a road crew working on our road, doing repairs or trimming trees, she’d kick into gear and make a giant meal, pack it in a big cardboard box, and have me foot it down to them.

I try and do that here whenever possible; like you, it seems the proper thing to do. When we had our kitchen backsplash installed, we got pizza for them, and set up a spot in the garage for them to eat out of the weather, and we had some minor repairs done to the house a few years ago, and I stuck a cooler out there, filled with cold drinks and a big basket of snacks and fruit.

We’ve got guys laying high-speed fiber wire on our road, and I’ve taken them out drinks on occasion. They’ve been out there since last year!

Need some help with yardwork?? Lol

Russ

I had two workmen digging a trench in the front garden (to eventually install a drainage canal), the gardener (who was up a 10 ft ladder in the blazing sun, removing all the weeds from the wall) and the cleaner.
We pay them $25 a day, (85F in the shade, probably 100F in the sun) which is about the going rate.
They come from 20, 25 or even 30 miles away; get on a bus at 4.30am, then another bus, then walk a mile or two to get here.
I made a fresh tomato sauce with basil and oregano, pasta, topped with parmesan, and a fresh green salad. Cost me about $2 a head. I think that's the least I can do.
Right and proper. As I have somehow come to expect of you 😆

One thing I want to ask (ok two things), how do you know pasta, tomato sauce and parmesan is going to go down alright? ie is it usual food there?

Where do you serve it?
I'm always conscious of making workmen/women uncomfortable by inviting them in. It's just not something we do here and a plate of food in the rain is a no.

Tea, biscuits, cake and a tip or bottle of something at the end is the usual route but there are times when they look scrawny, cold or hungry I really would like to heat them up or feed them!

Back
Top Bottom