What did you cook today May 2016?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
8:52 AM
Mod Edit: Each Month, we will start a new thread called "What did you cook today?"
It is for you write up what you have eaten on that day. As simple as that. The thread is simply to show what you have cooked and eaten because it varies so much from person to person and from country to country. Feel free to cover any meal or snack that you have eaten.

It is not for the recipe, that can be written up separately if you want to (which would be great) and if you have a picture/photo, not matter what the quality, of your plate of food, that would be fantastic.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I love slow cooked beef stew. Its a good recipe - but I hope your picture looks more appetising than the one on your link! Its quite difficult to take pictures of stews. They just look sort of brown. I'm still struggling with that in my food photography. Photographing cakes presents a similar problem!

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheating today! Supermarket chicken kievs with garlic and oven chips. Ordinary onions, red onions, mushrooms, tomatoes, more garlic and parsley cooked in a separate dish in the oven to go with them.

Today I made steamed broccoli and mushrooms (my dinner's protein source); cucumbers marinated in rice vinegar, wakame, sesame and garlic; and a quick bean-sprout stir fry with carrots, green onion and cabbage. Earlier this morning I also whipped up some homemade peanut butter :D

I am fasting for Ekadashi today where we can only eat certain kinds of food...No grains. I went to the local iskcon temple in the morning where devotees gather on Ekadashi and chant the holy names. In the afternoon, prasadam is served to all. We had samak rice, potato curry, cucumber salad and samak ki kheer. I only cooked zeera aloo at home as an offering to the Lord.

well currently I am making a pasta salad which I do alot in the summer time. I will add some sausage, and olives and a bit of green pepper. That will be dinner.

Yesterday I made a mushroom, tomatoes and 4 lentil soup. It's one of those what's on the shelves soups because of us leaving very soon. It was surprisingly tasty and very nice! It was however difficult cooking in the kitchen because every time I went to get something I wanted, it wasn't there because of our move. The international removers have been and gone and very little is left...

Tuesday night's dinner: jacket sweet potato, sprouting broccoli and walnuts in butter, and paneer cubes with cherry tomatoes. The small plate in the background is somedog's supper but in his case added carrot and no butter:D

View attachment 2593 purple

This dish looks really good and healthy. I will be working on my diet soon and I want to incorporate more sweet potatoes in it. Did you bake your sweet potato? The broccoli actually looks like greens or spinach. I would love to try this dish! I am trying to find meals that taste good to help keep me away from the unhealthy stuff.

This dish looks really good and healthy. I will be working on my diet soon and I want to incorporate more sweet potatoes in it. Did you bake your sweet potato? The broccoli actually looks like greens or spinach. I would love to try this dish! I am trying to find meals that taste good to help keep me away from the unhealthy stuff.

Baked - it just doesn't take quite as long as an equivalent-sized ordinary potato. The broccoli was parboiled before being tossed with in the butter - it was purple sprouting broccoli which turns everything else purple otherwise!

https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/chicken-with-garlic-broccoli-and-ginger-glazed-carrots.7331/

WP_20160512_21_57_26_Pro.jpg

Last night was a make it up night. It ended up with an onion fried in butter replacement, with tamarind chutney added, then drained, chopped braised tofu added with sliced garlic. Followed by a tin of chopped tomatoes and ½ a tin of water plus some chopped fresh rosemary and thyme. This was left to marinated for a couple of hours and served over pasta with chopped black olives sprinkled over the top.

It was very tasty.

First day of a Bank Holiday weekend. Went to local market this morning and visited Thai street food stall - Rice soup for breakfast, so fresh, ginger, coriander, spring onion, accompanied by Jasmine tea. Good start. Bought mussels from the fishmongers, and as we are having a Normandy themed week decided to cook Mussels a la Normande:

Ingredients

50g butter
100g smoked bacon lardons
1 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, chopped
3 sprigs fresh thyme
1 Cox's apple, diced
1 pint cider
100ml double cream
Sourdough bread to accompany.

Method

Foam the butter in a large, deep pan. Add the lardons, onions, thyme and garlic and cook down until all are browned.
Add the diced apple.
Add the cider and bring to a boil.
Add the mussels and cook for 5 mins, or until opened (discard any that don't open)
Stir in the cream and serve immediately with the sourdough bread.

Notes
The predominant flavour in this dish comes from the lardons. If you can, get your butcher to slice a 1/2 inch rasher of good smoked back bacon instead of using bought in lardons.

My own version of sweet and sour chicken wings and a cole slaw. Had some left over white rice stir fried that as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom