What did you eat/cook today (January 2017)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
10:35 PM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
Happy New Year everyone.

Each month, we start a new thread called "What did you cook/eat today?" Tell what you have cooked or eaten on that day. As simple as that. The thread is simply to show what you have prepared and/or eaten because it varies so much from person to person and from country to country. Feel free to also cover any meal or snack that you have eaten during the day. If you have a photo, no matter what the quality, that would be great.

This thread is not for recipes. If you want to post a recipe (which would be great!) please write it up separately and post it as a new thread in the relevant section.

Happy new year. I made my first pizza for lunch today. I was going to make it yesterday but well it was New Year's Eve and we got invited out. I used ready made dough from Tesco which turned out very well. I topped it with thin sliced red onions, mozarella, passata and pepperoni. I also shook some dried oregano over the top. I must say it turned out very well and wasn't difficult to do. It got the thumbs up from my friend.

Bacon and brie buttie for lunch. Not too sure about dinner as TVC has been very busy in the kitchen and I have been barred from going in.

New Years Day meal, our finish to the Celebrations.

Scallops with black pudding crumb, pancetta, pea puree and a mustard vinigarette.

20170101_190027.jpg

For the main, Rack of Lamb, Pommes Anna, Cauliflower roasted and puree, butter braised Carrots, a reappearance by the Pea Puree and a Red Wine & Shallot Sauce.

20170101_192228.jpg

Dessert was a Strawberry Ripple Cheesecake (forgot the photo). All served with a bottle of Prosecco my niece gave us last week.

New Years Day meal, our finish to the Celebrations.

Scallops with black pudding crumb, pancetta, pea puree and a mustard vinigarette.

View attachment 4758

For the main, Rack of Lamb, Pommes Anna, Cauliflower roasted and puree, butter braised Carrots, a reappearance by the Pea Puree and a Red Wine & Shallot Sauce.

View attachment 4759

Dessert was a Strawberry Ripple Cheesecake (forgot the photo). All served with a bottle of Prosecco my niece gave us last week.

It was divine

Before Christmas my butcher gave me some bones and offcuts of beef to make a gravy for the big meal. Once the stock was drained from the meat, bones and veg I picked out the decent meat and the remains of the carrots and froze them. Today I shredded the beef, diced the carrots and added them to sweated onions along with the left over red wine sauce from yesterday. I threw in some stock ( from a cube) and some peas and simmered it until the liquid was much reduced. Dolloped it into pie dished and topped with some mash I had about.
Cottage pie from (free) leftovers, yum.

20170102_172813.jpg

I made the marmite, potato and cheese pastries that @Ellie posted up, only I used a sweet potato as well as normal potatoes, only partially mashing them, and I also cooked the normal potatoes in turmeric and threw in some mustard and cumin seeds with the onion and added some ground coriander to the mix in addition. My husband had found some melting mozzarella style vegan cheese slices before Christmas so I used those on top of the mixture but inside the pastry and made up some dairy free whole-wheat shortcrust pastry which was amazingly soft (and a hazard to cook with) but wonderful to eat. The picture is horrendous but the pastries were really nice.

It was served with a couple of home-grown cherry tomatoes and some rice and pomegranate salad.

IMG_7433.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom