What do you consider to be basic cooking skills

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
5:24 PM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
I was wondering what people consider to be basic cooking skills? For instance obviously boiling an egg, frying it (without leaving it tasting of grease or overcooked), boiling an egg, poaching an egg? Where does cooking pasta come into it? fresh or dried? What about actually making your own pasta? Is that a basic skill? Or perhaps a basic Victoria sponge cake (from fresh ingredients not a packet!) How about pancakes or drop scones? Ordinary scones - they can expand sideways if they are too wet or not cut thick enough? What about bread making - I find sourdough really easy but I have been making it for years so I should do, but it doesn't meant that some loaves are not as successful as others and my hubby prefers them in a loaf tin so they make better sandwiches (fits better in his lunch box of all excuses!). Where would you rate making pastry? shortcrust, or puff pastry? rough puff? I frequently make both sweet and normal shortcrust pastry, but I have never made rough puff or puff pastry?

What are you thoughts?

Basic cooking skills.
Knowing how to boil water.
I can't fry an egg but I can scramble it but frying eggs is not a skill I need because I don't like fried eggs.
So yes knowing how to cook an egg is a help.
Knowing how to cook pasta (dried) is a basic skill. Knowing how to make pasta is an advanced skill.
Bread is an advanced skill. I know one person in real life that makes yeast breads and she is typing this.
Pastry is advanced.
Knowing when meats are done is a basic skill.
Knowing how to peel vegetables is a basic skill.
Knowing how to make a sauce or gravy is intermediate.

I'd say the ability to get yourself a basic meal, without injury in the process, or after due to something having being done wrong.

It has to depend on your country of origin to some extent, I think. In Italy, making home-made pasta and pizza dough might well be considered a basic skill. On the other hand, boiling an egg might not be considered a basic skill in some cultures. There will never be a world definition of basic cooking skills, I think!

What is regarded as basic varies according to culture even when similar foods are consumed - for example:

Knowing how to make pasta is an advanced skill.
In Italy it wouldn't be regarded as advanced (this could be changing but I'm sure @MypinchofItaly can put us straight).

basic Victoria sponge cake
Many cultures wouldn't even know what a sponge cake was.

Making bread would probably be considered a basic skill in a lot of cultures/countries around the world. Maybe that is one of the most basic skills if we are taking a world view.

It has to depend on your country of origin to some extent, I think. In Italy, making home-made pasta and pizza dough might well be considered a basic skill. On the other hand, boiling an egg might not be considered a basic skill in some cultures. There will never be a world definition of basic cooking skills, I think!

What is regarded as basic varies according to culture even when similar foods are consumed - for example:

In Italy it wouldn't be regarded as advanced (this could be changing but I'm sure @MypinchofItaly can put us straight).

Many cultures wouldn't even know what a sponge cake was.

Making bread would probably be considered a basic skill in a lot of cultures/countries around the world. Maybe that is one of the most basic skills if we are taking a world view.
If we are talking flat or quick breads then yes a basic skill.

There is no such thing as a basic cooking skill, just familiar ones. I say this in the context of worldwide cuisine, as we have members from around the globe. You could use the term within the confines of one nations cuisine, but not globally. This applies not only to recipes but to actual skills.

If we are talking flat or quick breads then yes a basic skill.
you beat me to it. I was thinking exactly the same!
Googled. That is just a very basic cake
it was one of the first things we were taught in cookery class as an 11 year old. Though my Grannie had already taught me at a much younger age. It is a basic birthday cake mixture. Hence why I thought it a basic skill! Mind you the first thing we were taught how to make in cookery class was actually cheese on toast!

For basic skills, as opposed to knowledge on how to cook something particular, I don't consider particular foods. I would think skills are: how to hold and use a knife properly and safely; how to regulate the heating source so that you neither burn or undercook your food; how to measure properly when baking; how to measure liquids properly. Activities like that are the basics. You won't be able to make bread, sponge cake, or any raised product if you don't measure properly.

The knowledge of one´s regional ( verses national ) cuisines & "raw materials" ( Products ) and the basic ingredients available in that vicinity are quintessential ..

For example: Spanish Extra Virgin Olive Oil types .. This is vital to Iberians as it is the main form of lard that is used in The Iberian Peninsula .. How to purchase and moreover, how to " taste " .. Many markets hold "Cata" or Tasting Evoo Demonstrations .. One shall be well informed by attending one or The Olive Oil Times, a bilingual English and Spanish Magazine, also on line ..

The Very Basics: ( off top of head ) ..
How to prep: slice, dice, mince etcetra .. ( veggies, fruits, etcetra. )
How to sautée
How to roast
How to boil
How to use a Knife ! So you do not land up in a hospital emergency room ..
How to blend & combine ( How to use a Stick Mixer )
How to purchase fish, meat, poultry, veggies and fruit.
All vital if you wish to cook ..
How to steam or poach ..
The Bocuse 10 Mother Sauces ..
Herbs and spices and types of salts and ground peppercorns and their uses and how to use ..

For example: Never buy a female aubergine or eggplant. They have uncountable seeds and tend to be bitter. How do I know ? Simple. My grandmothers and mothers .. The Female Aubergine: Turn upside down and you shall see a fairly large "navel " or belly button ..

The male: Has a tiny dot on the bottom of the Aubergine ..

All the posts here have excellent points of view ..

Have a great day ..

Last edited by a moderator:
Recently with the closure of the Jamie Oliver forums coming about I spent a couple of days scrolling through old threads and it's amazing how far home cooking has come in the past 13 years.

Home made bread, pasta, ice cream, mayonnaise & stocks was the realm of foodies whose passion for food bordered on madness. Jams & preserves the realm of dotty old Grandmas.

I think we have people like Jamie & shows like Masterchef to thank for this uptick and hopefully over time we will start to achieve a balance between commercial preparations and homecookibg and hopefully see a reversal of the truly appalling diet related illness we are seeing in the western world.

5 years ago my own skills were considered advanced & still might be by the average home cooks standards but watching the latest rounds of The Chef's Line I'm just stunned at the level of knowledge.

Recently with the closure of the Jamie Oliver forums coming about I spent a couple of days scrolling through old threads and it's amazing how far home cooking has come in the past 13 years.

Home made bread, pasta, ice cream, mayonnaise & stocks was the realm of foodies whose passion for food bordered on madness. Jams & preserves the realm of dotty old Grandmas.

I think we have people like Jamie & shows like Masterchef to thank for this uptick and hopefully over time we will start to achieve a balance between commercial preparations and homecookibg and hopefully see a reversal of the truly appalling diet related illness we are seeing in the western world.

5 years ago my own skills were considered advanced & still might be by the average home cooks standards but watching the latest rounds of The Chef's Line I'm just stunned at the level of knowledge.
I'd say it's been negleted, in the UK at least, in schools. It used to be a seperate lesson, now it's all but gone.

I've posted a few recipes on here, that I've shown to others. Some I've had passed/shown to me. All whilst as a scout leader which included being a camp warden.

Now it's seen as dangerous lesson to be teaching someone how to cook something.

This has led to an increase, my opinion, in the number of "chefs" bringing out a book. That becomes the latest "must have" item.

Jamie Oliver has become the latest not to have full control over how his name is used. If you had someone drinking from a bottle, telling you what to do, how much notice would you take? Stick the word "chef" in along with their name and their word is almost law.

The Oliver site isn't the only one that's closing this year either. They'll either let you know or not.

Last edited:

I agree. In the UK in particular the standard of TV food programmes is very high - and there is no shortage of them! I watch the Food Channel quite a lot. Personally I have learned an immense amount of new skills by seeing them demonstrated. The Great British Bake Off, which reached cult heights, has made baking (sweet and savoury) much more fashionable. I know several of my (grown-up) son's and daughter's friends who have been inspired to make cakes and bread thanks to this programme.

I'd say it's been negleted, in the UK at least, in schools. It used to be a seperate lesson, now it's all but gone.

I've posted a few recipes on here, that I've shown to others. Some I've had passed/shown to me. All whilst as a scout leader which included being a camp warden.

Now it's seen as dangerous lesson to be teaching someone how to cook something.

Both of my kids are doing a double doses of cooking classes at school.

My 13yo son is doing "food tech" as his mandatory tech class & as his elective tech class for this semester.

My 17yo daughter is studying food tech as part of her Higher School Certificate & they also have the opportunity to do a course outside of school & she has chosen hospitality, the major component of which is commercial cookery.

Back
Top Bottom