What do you like on your pizza?

My favorite Pizza is a thin crisp crust "Bianco" ( no tomato sauce) ..

In Italy, I prefer, fresh mozzarella di bufala, fresh basil leaves, Evoo and fresh slices of red firm but ripe tomato with a crisp crust, not too thick ..

And I adore Focaccia, a Genovese flat bread with some Evoo, salt and Rosemary and Sage sprinkled on top ..

My favorite Pizza is a thin crisp crust "Bianco" ( no tomato sauce) ..

In Italy, I prefer, fresh mozzarella di bufala, fresh basil leaves, Evoo and fresh slices of red firm but ripe tomato with a crisp crust, not too thick ..

And I adore Focaccia, a Genovese flat bread with some Evoo, salt and Rosemary and Sage sprinkled on top ..

@morning glory & @The Late Night Gourmet

I love Focaccia but rarely eat pizza outside of Italy .. When I do it is never with tomato sauce on it or a thick crust ..

Have a wonderful weekend ahead and all my best ..

I like pepperoni, onions, ham, sweet peppers, pineapple and mushrooms. I leave the mushrooms off if I am getting it for the family. I know you did not ask about the crust but I like a crispy full crust. The crust can make or bread in a pizza in my opinion.

Pineapple...:scratchhead:but with onions, ham and peperoni?

That Hawaiian thing I've never understood. Pineapple on pizza? Don't get it. There used to be a thing in the UK back in the 60's (maybe earlier) of gammon steak with a pineapple ring on top. It was about as exotic as we got over here in those days! I always found it a bit strange. But I'm with you on the basil. Fresh basil is wonderful on pizza.:happy:

I definitely agree with you @morning glory...sorry folks but I can't heard pineapple on pizza.
Fresh basil, tomato (fresh or sauce), mozzarella, I.e. pizza margherita is the best pizza (for me).
To follow:
  1. raw ham+ rocket salad
  2. 4 stagioni
  3. Aubergine slices + Parmesan
  4. Focaccia - Evoo, oregano, salt.

I definitely agree with you @morning glory...sorry folks but I can't heard pineapple on pizza.
Fresh basil, tomato (fresh or sauce), mozzarella, I.e. pizza margherita is the best pizza (for me).
To follow:
  1. raw ham+ rocket salad
  2. 4 stagioni
  3. Aubergine slices + Parmesan
  4. Focaccia - Evoo, oregano, salt.

If using aubergine slices, I presume you cook them first? I've never tried aubergine on pizza.

If using aubergine slices, I presume you cook them first? I've never tried aubergine on pizza.

They usually are griddled before but not completely (then put on pizza at the last moment in the oven) or sometimes raw slices put directly on pizza to bake then in the oven. This pizza is called Parmigiana. I love it!

Hmm, pizza. Depends on my mood, depends on what is on hand. Hubby likes the meats: pepperoni, ham, bacon, sausage, any or all. Also onion...well, anything that isn't spinach, basically. :laugh: I like it lighter, with more veggies: tomato, mushroom, spinach, black olives, broccoli. Maybe some chicken. I've also made them with prosciutto/fig/Fontina cheese; also with spinach, feta, black olives, artichoke, sundried tomato. Then there is the Hawaiian style a la Donoto's: ham, pineapple, sliced almonds, and a light sprinkle of cinnamon. Sounds totally bizarre, right? Our son ordered it the first time we tried that chain's pizza simply because it was "different". Turns out that, on occasion, it is rather tasty.

As far as crust goes, we don't like New York style thin (so thin you have to fold it in half to keep it from falling apart), but not quite as thick as what is billed as "Sicilian style" - puffy thick crust, very bread-like - think Focaccia pizza. When I toss "pizza" together at home, I just use Naan bread from the store. We like it, and that's all that counts. :wink:

Hmm, pizza. Depends on my mood, depends on what is on hand. Hubby likes the meats: pepperoni, ham, bacon, sausage, any or all. Also onion...well, anything that isn't spinach, basically. :laugh: I like it lighter, with more veggies: tomato, mushroom, spinach, black olives, broccoli. Maybe some chicken. I've also made them with prosciutto/fig/Fontina cheese; also with spinach, feta, black olives, artichoke, sundried tomato. Then there is the Hawaiian style a la Donoto's: ham, pineapple, sliced almonds, and a light sprinkle of cinnamon. Sounds totally bizarre, right? Our son ordered it the first time we tried that chain's pizza simply because it was "different". Turns out that, on occasion, it is rather tasty.

As far as crust goes, we don't like New York style thin (so thin you have to fold it in half to keep it from falling apart), but not quite as thick as what is billed as "Sicilian style" - puffy thick crust, very bread-like - think Focaccia pizza. When I toss "pizza" together at home, I just use Naan bread from the store. We like it, and that's all that counts. :wink:

Sicilian style pizza I think is "sfincione", isn't it? I don't like pizza too thin as well, I have to taste the dough and not tooth vs tooth that bite the air :)
Anyway it's so odd that sfincione is mostly eaten in Sicilia and not so eaten in the rest of Italy (at least here in the North). Sfincione is mostly a street food and when we ask for a pizza siciliana in a Pizzeria, we eat the classic round pizza with anchovies and black olives, but not sfincione. You'll never find it on the list.

Mmmmm pizza :hungry:
Actually we're having pizza for dinner tonight. I love mixing things up when I do homemade pizza - yes the traditional toppings are nice, but sometimes it good to experiment :wink: I think tonight I'll be keeping it simple with be some tomato and garlic herb sauce, leftover jambon cru we have in the fridge and mozzarella. With some homemade chilli oil to drizzle over the top.

I have been known to throw all sorts on a pizza though - it really depends on what we have lying around :whistling: ......chorizo slices, cut up leftover sausages, leftover taco meat, spinach, rocket, onions. I also sometimes use other cheeses instead of or as well as mozzarella - brie for example works really well on pizza. We've got a load of feta in the freezer so I'm trying to think of a greek theme for next time.

And as for pineapple on pizza....I have to say that actually I rather like it :oops:. Its strange because it shouldn't work but somehow it just does :p: It does need to be on a non-traditional pizza though...so no bufala mozzarella with your pineapple (that would be weird), instead you need the cheap rubbery type that you can grate and that melts to form puddles of stringy melted cheese. I'm also quite partial to chicken and sweetcorn pizza - but again its got to be with that cheap mozzarella rather than the good stuff.

The mozzarella available here is just plain mozzarella but it's not cheap. About £16.00/kg.

I had some mozzarella left over (about 100 gms) and a few slices of pepperoni............

pepperoni pizza 12 s.jpg

Sicilian style pizza I think is "sfincione", isn't it?...
I've never heard that term here, so I did the Google thing. Yup, Sicilian=sfincione. Some bakeries and grocery store bakery departments sell it as "sheet pizza". Just sauce and cheese on a puffy bread-like base. Back home in Ohio, some pizza shops are known for offering pizzas on dough like that. You can order thick or thin crust when you order your pizza. That way you can get thick crust AND more toppings than the usual sauce and cheese.

Back
Top Bottom