What do you miss about the UK?

This might all change after Brexit. :eek:
:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao: of course it won't change after brexit. The UK is only leaving a huge political and financial dinosaur and the markets will still be there for any and all things from europe. Further a huge amount of goods come from places other than europe anyway. Some of the 'victims' we have been warned about can easily be sourced [and more cheaply] from elsewhere Wines - california / australia and the best I've heard recently 'we won't be able to get avocados anymore' - I mean really :giggle:. Perhaps those producing these scare stories should at least find out where the majority of avocados come from before inventing their doomsday scenarios

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao: of course it won't change after brexit. The UK is only leaving a huge political and financial dinosaur and the markets will still be there for any and all things from europe. Further a huge amount of goods come from places other than europe anyway. Some of the 'victims' we have been warned about can easily be sourced [and more cheaply] from elsewhere Wines - california / australia and the best I've heard recently 'we won't be able to get avocados anymore' - I mean really :giggle:. Perhaps those producing these scare stories should at least find out where the majority of avocados come from before inventing their doomsday scenarios

Its all a bit of an unknown right now - we will see, I suppose. I certainly hope you are right.

A decent Sunday roast. I spend several weeks each year in Cyprus, and it is this that I crave most.

If I'm ever away - and its been a long time since I was out of the country - then its the sheer variety ingredients and food available in the UK. This might all change after Brexit. :eek:

And I genuinely miss the weather as I can't stand heat. Having said that its bonkers heat here at the moment.

If I was away for longer it would be Pubs and the fantastic variety of real ale.

Very much so. I spent two years out of the country and the first thing I did when I got back was go to a pub selling cask ale to enjoy a quiet pint. And then a few noisy ones.

Where I was (Eritrea), it was well-nigh impossible to get decent cheese. Mushrooms were non-existent. Curiously enough, I missed the rain, although I didn't have to wait long for some of that.

I have visited London as a tourist several times (including a stop in Stonehenge), Ireland and Edinburgh only once last year. Of course I can not say I have seen UK with so few elements but, and I always say so, I am in love with English culture, literature, music, landscapes, weather and yes, even food (with an exception - Marmite. I can not) For the moment I can only say that I miss some trivial things but I find that the black pudding is fantastic, I discovered it in Edinburgh (even on the advice of cookingbiters) and I loved it, as well as English breakfast (I love it!), scones and sausages that are so different from ours. And then the architecture of your houses, beautiful, not to mention the cathedrals, churches and even the cemeteries, so different from ours, both as architecture and as a concept. The first time I visited London, what immediately struck me was the smell of food through the city. Strange, yet I found it beautiful. And that atmosphere between the 70s and Virginia Woolf. I can not wait to visit the rest, for better or for worse, like everywhere. I have traveled fairly, especially in Europe, and many cities have fascinated me but none like London (and a separate note for Lisbon)

Last edited:
Its all a bit of an unknown right now - we will see, I suppose. I certainly hope you are right.
Please remember we traded perfectly well before we joined the 'common market' [which is what we actually joined - it has morphed into this huge unwieldy monster without any consultation with the British tax payer] and also 3/4 of the world is NOT in the EU. However as most of our MP's, in all parties, have huge self interest [from massive pension funds to business 'interests'] in remaining I suspect it will be a fudge and a 'leaving' in name only. The naughty little elves voted the wrong way - that is democracy in action, something they weren't expecting, however our government has absolutely no intention of doing as they were told so I wouldn't worry

I had fish and chips at a pub in Leicester Square a few years ago, and I naturally expected great things. But, what you describe here is exactly what I got: a greasy fried fish with the skin on, and I had to work around the bones.
I've yet to have decent fish & chips in a pub. Next time try a proper fish & chip shop :)

I've yet to have decent fish & chips in a pub. Next time try a proper fish & chip shop :)
Pub fish and chips can be awful. Like going to Domino's expecting an Italian pizza! Some pubs do great fish and chips though. Let us know when you are visiting the UK next and I am sure we can find a recommended place for you.

I would no more consider having food in a pub than I would having cask beer in a restaurant. There may be the odd exception, but as a general rule, it's sound.

I agree to an extent. However, in my (ex) village on The Wirral in the UK we had a local pub (The Pollard Inn) to which was attached a quality restaurant. The pub served draught Thwaites which was also available in the restaurant. A one-off maybe.

I would no more consider having food in a pub than I would having cask beer in a restaurant. There may be the odd exception, but as a general rule, it's sound.
I agree to an extent. However, in my (ex) village on The Wirral in the UK we had a local pub (The Pollard Inn) to which was attached a quality restaurant. The pub served draught Thwaites which was also available in the restaurant. A one-off maybe.
I agree with both of these.....but there seems to be a common misconception that pubs are the place to go to for quality food. I've seen it lots on the Tripadvisor London forum where people ask for recommendations for a pub for a special meal, or which pub for fish & chips .....maybe inaccurate guide books are to blame?

I'd go further and split pubs into city pubs, village pubs and country pubs:
- City pubs are mainly just for drinking. They'll serve food, but if you eat there then expect basic pub grub, probably either deep fried or warmed up from mass-produced catering ready-meals.
- Village pubs can be either be just for drinking or may have made more of an effort on the food side. Its not always easy to tell which type of pub it is, but if there's a chalk specials board that looks seasonal then its a good sign you might expect good food.
- Country pubs tend to have better food because they often don't have a large catchment area for people walking to have a few drinks so they need to attract people who are prepared to drive for good food. Its not guaranteed though!

I agree with both of these.....but there seems to be a common misconception that pubs are the place to go to for quality food. I've seen it lots on the Tripadvisor London forum where people ask for recommendations for a pub for a special meal, or which pub for fish & chips .....maybe inaccurate guide books are to blame?

I'd go further and split pubs into city pubs, village pubs and country pubs:
- City pubs are mainly just for drinking. They'll serve food, but if you eat there then expect basic pub grub, probably either deep fried or warmed up from mass-produced catering ready-meals.
- Village pubs can be either be just for drinking or may have made more of an effort on the food side. Its not always easy to tell which type of pub it is, but if there's a chalk specials board that looks seasonal then its a good sign you might expect good food.
- Country pubs tend to have better food because they often don't have a large catchment area for people walking to have a few drinks so they need to attract people who are prepared to drive for good food. Its not guaranteed though!

Even in our rural backwater there are very few of what you describe as village pubs left - drinking dens for locals, with dominoes, darts and skittles. Practically no pool tables or juke boxes left either. In our own village, and the next village, the 'village pub' has been replaced by, what is in effect, a restaurant with a bar attached. The food, being the main focus of the business is very good.

Back
Top Bottom