What do you miss about the UK?

Even in our rural backwater there are very few of what you describe as village pubs left - drinking dens for locals, with dominoes, darts and skittles. Practically no pool tables or juke boxes left either.
When I say village pub, I simply mean one that is located in a village - I wasn't referring to drinking dens for locals (with or without jukeboxes, pool tables or anything else).

In fact the point I was trying to make is exactly the opposite: that in villages (or small towns even) you're just as likely to find a pub with average food as you are one with good food....and trying to work out whether the food is likely to be any good can be quite difficult because you often can't rely on the decor. I know plenty of pubs in villages nearby that are great places to go for a drink and look really attractive, but the food is just bog standard pub fare. Likewise there are some that have really focused on the food side of the business and are more like restaurants. They're all village pubs (ie. located in a village) but offer a very different food experience.

I had fish and chips at a pub in Leicester Square a few years ago, and I naturally expected great things. But, what you describe here is exactly what I got: a greasy fried fish with the skin on, and I had to work around the bones. I've been to England several times previously, and I thought I was mis-remembering how it used to be (as the memory of things seems to improve with age). But, from what you're saying, I might have been remembering correctly after all!

What I miss is the efficiency of the public transport system in London. People who live there might have criticisms (such as how most lines of the Tube stop running when it's not too late at night). But, it's infinitely better than what we have in Michigan. It's no secret that the auto industry made sure that there wouldn't be a viable public transport system in Detroit, so everyone drives. I'd love to be able to catch a train to downtown - or to work, for that matter - and work my way around without having to park my car.

Fish and chips can be very hit and miss, our local chippie does a good trade but I found their chips soggy and under cooked, the fish batter oozed oil, it was gross :sick: . Our local pub do good f&c as I would assume do a lot of chippies, just have to find the right one.

Almost 10 years ago we were out of the country for almost 4 weeks, Fiji and Australia, the food was fresh, healthy and so tasty, when we returned home our first meal was beef stew and dumplings :laugh:

Almost 10 years ago we were out of the country for almost 4 weeks, Fiji and Australia, the food was fresh, healthy and so tasty, when we returned home our first meal was beef stew and dumplings :laugh:
We went to Cornwall for just one week and ate the most amazing fresh seafood, meat (for husband) and vegetables .End of the holiday? A takeaway curry :)

We went to Cornwall for just one week and ate the most amazing fresh seafood, meat (for husband) and vegetables .End of the holiday? A takeaway curry :)

Yes! Curry I would miss. There are many countries where its hard to get the ingredients to make your own.

Some friends of my dad's from Zimbabwe used to order a Chinese takeaway on their first night visiting family in England. They could not get the ingredients in Zimbabwe.

Bassets jelly babies and walkers crisps. Luckily we have a shop called the uk shop. I get my English stuff there. We have a very good f and c shop here. 3 actually all run by Vietnamese. Funnily enough a new fish shop opened up very close to me. We got them one night just to try. The fish batter had stuck to the paper and stripped off the fish. The meat pattie was disgusting as well. Chips undercooked and over salted. I was past that shop yesterday and noticed a sign saying closed until further notice.

Russ

Bassets jelly babies and walkers crisps.

I hadn't thought of sweets. Whenever I stopped smoking (which was quite a few times) my substitutes of choice were poor bens, pomfret cakes and midget gems.

I'm addicted to sweets when driving. Midget gems are always in my car.

Are they not called "vertically challenged gems" these days?

I am able to buy on-line but whether they will deliver here and if they ever arrive are the unknown factors. Also to pay more postage than the item is worth is contrary to my nature.

Luckily we have a shop called the uk shop. I get my English stuff there.

Is there a good range of stuff available? and is it very expensive?

An "English shop" opened up here about 10 years ago but it didn't last long. The products available were what you'd expect, I suppose - Marmite, Typhoo teabags, various tinned pies & puddings etc. Pretty underwhelming - and very pricy.

It's possible to find a few UK products - Heinz baked beans, Lyons Golden Syrup etc - in the larger French supermarkets, usually on a shelf/shelves tagged as a Union Jack section. And it's interesting to see how the prices fluctuate, depending on whether it's the UK school holidays or not.

It's possible to find a few UK products - Heinz baked beans, Lyons Golden Syrup etc - in the larger French supermarkets, usually on a shelf/shelves tagged as a Union Jack section. And it's interesting to see how the prices fluctuate, depending on whether it's the UK school holidays or not.
This year was the first time in a long time that we've been to the part of France that is often frequented by British holidaymakers,and we noticed those shelves some supermarkets (haven't seen them in eastern France). I must admit we did wonder who on earth travels to France - the land of fabulous food and ingredients - and buys jars/tins/packets of the foods they have at home?

But actually, I never thought about ex-pats who actually might like a little taste of home...which I really should have done considering I've been an ex-pat myself a few times :oops:

I must admit we did wonder who on earth travels to France - the land of fabulous food and ingredients - and buys jars/tins/packets of the foods they have at home?

But actually, I never thought about ex-pats who actually might like a little taste of home

I've been unable to resolve either of these points because I simply don't know who buys the stuff. As it's available all the year round, I'd guess it's mostly for us ex-pats - but apart from Golden Syrup (which I know other ex-pats buy) - I'm clueless as to who buys what. It's a mystery ..

I've been an ex-pat myself a few times

I'm a firm believer in the importance of embedding yourself (even if only briefly) in another country's culture - and all the attendant benefits that can bring. Maybe I should start another thread: "Why we should all live abroad for a bit"....?

Please share your ex-pat experiences, if you want to - I'm sure they'll be of interest on here

Back
Top Bottom