What do you use to sift your dry ingredients with?

GadgetGuy

(Formerly Shermie)
Local time
2:21 PM
Sifter.jpg
sifting_flower_l1.jpg

I used to use the one in the top pic. I now use the one in the bottom pic, which does just as good a job!!! :wink:

I'm ashamed to say I don't sift flour. Rumour has it that you don't need to unless you are concerned that it might have bugs in it. I am trying to think if there is a need to sift anything else.

I sometimes sift flour (the second of your pictures). Why, I do not know.

Flour these days is pretty fine compared to what it used to be, so there is no need to sift it, unless the recipe you are using specifically states that the flour should be sifted. Same with sugar. Granulated sugar is a lot finer than it used to be and is not much different to caster sugar. I can't remember the last time I bought caster sugar, let alone sifted flour just for the hell of it.

15 years ago, flour was very scarce around here in Nakhorn Nowhere, and the only bread available was the sweet soggy sliced stuff from 7-11. I virtually gave up eating bread. However, things have now changed and flour is available in all the major outlets as is decent freshly baked bread. (7-11 still has the sweet plastic stuff though).

15 years ago, flour was very scarce around here in Nakhorn Nowhere, and the only bread available was the sweet soggy sliced stuff from 7-11. I virtually gave up eating bread. However, things have now changed and flour is available in all the major outlets as is decent freshly baked bread. (7-11 still has the sweet plastic stuff though).
As you've probably noticed from my posts, I gave up buying supermarket bread a long time ago. I have occasionally bought bread from a proper bakers (there is one 5 minutes walk from me), but prefer to bake my own.

I only sift flour or " Golden sugar in the raw " if the récipe specifically calls for it .. And I only bake during the Xmas Holidays for our grandsons. We have a cookie day ..

I have a different type of manual sifter . I am not home so I cannot take a photograph of it until next week ..

Not only is a sieve good for sifting flours, sugars, other dry ingredients, but like you said, it is also good for staining liquids & even gravies.

I have a set of three - small, medium & large, :wink:

Not only is a sieve good for sifting flours, sugars, other dry ingredients, but like you said, it is also good for staining liquids & even gravies.

I have a set of three - small, medium & large, :wink:

@Shermie

True .. Can be Handy for sauces ..
Good to strain home made Marina ( tomato sauce ) ..

Have a nice weekend ..

If I make quesadillas, I use the sieve to strain off some of the liquid from the salsa.

Back
Top Bottom