What Does Everyone Like to Bake?

GadgetGuy

(Formerly Shermie)
Local time
12:32 AM
What are the things you like to bake? Since getting my new mixer, I've gotten back into baking.

I missed the odor of fresh bread, cakes & cookies baking in the oven! I also miss that hands-on feeling that you get while doing it!! I like to bake brads, cakes & cookies. I like baking just about everything!

I would love to bake a fruitcake this year if I can get all the stuff for it.

Last edited:
I've only recently started baking. I make gluten free and vegan or gluten free and dairy free cakes quite often. I've taken a break from trying to bake gluten free bread. I love home made scones (gluten free and dairy free - I made vegan ones recently but not nearly as nice).
Occasionally I make butter shortbread (gf of course) for husband.

I bake mainly bread. I don't really enjoy making cakes and I don't have a sweet tooth - I make a decent Victoria sponge and pretty fairy cakes but that's about it i the cake department. I do sometimes bake sweet breads which I do like to eat sometimes and also buns, such as hot cross buns.

I really enjoy making pastry of all kinds and have made croissants, pies, tarts etc. Choux pastry is the one where I lack experience.

Oh - and I don't have a stand mixer at all. I do have an electric hand mixer but rarely use it.

I like to bake breads and all sweets, BUT our waistlines and blood sugars don't like that. We've gotten out of the habit of eating a lot of breads or sweets. As well, even though I like to bake, sometimes my body just doesn't feel like baking.

Make sure you get an early start on the fruitcake. Got to have lots of time to get the booze in it and age it you know.

@Shermie Another thing you might like to try is a Tortuga Rum cake. Craig loves those, although we usually buy them.

I don't bake very often, but I used to enjoy making souffles -- watching The Magic of it rise and puff up, and the delicate, airy flavor. I have a retro recipe for cheese souffle made with, believe it or not, a can of cheddar cheese soup. It's actually very good.

Last edited:
I bake mainly bread. I don't really enjoy making cakes and I don't have a sweet tooth - I make a decent Victoria sponge and pretty fairy cakes but that's about it i the cake department. I do sometimes bake sweet breads which I do like to eat sometimes and also buns, such as hot cross buns.

I really enjoy making pastry of all kinds and have made croissants, pies, tarts etc. Choux pastry is the one where I lack experience.

Oh - and I don't have a stand mixer at all. I do have an electric hand mixer but rarely use it.

Making choux pastry is easy. All that is added to the boiling water is a little salt, the flour, & you stir it around vigorously. while still warm, you add the eggs while continuing to beat them in vigorously. :wink:

Making choux pastry is easy. All that is added to the boiling water is a little salt, the flour, & you stir it around vigorously. while still warm, you add the eggs while continuing to beat them in vigorously. :wink:

I must have a go. Its on the list.

Then it goes into a pastry bag & you pipe it out onto sheet pans to make either puffs or long tubes for eolairs. :wink:

I've made bread a few times. Otherwise I don't really bake sweets/deserts. I leave that up to my son.

The thing I bake more than anything else are bagels. And, I thought for some reason that choux was part of the latest Recipe Challenge, but now I see that it isn't. :( Hmm....I'll have to give it a try anyway (once I get a piping bag).

I like to make cakes sometimes but I have never made bread. I have made pastry which is usually shortcrust (Mum taught me how to make that). I haven't ever made choux pastry.

The thing I bake more than anything else are bagels. And, I thought for some reason that choux was part of the latest Recipe Challenge, but now I see that it isn't. :( Hmm....I'll have to give it a try anyway (once I get a piping bag).

I wanted it to be pate a choux, but figured too many would be intimated and wouldn't try making it.

You don't absolutely have to have a piping bag, you can use a spoon and very slightly dampened fingers, but it definitely helps if you do have one. Alternatively, you can cut a corner off a gallon bag and use that, just be careful how much you cut off. It's better to have to cut a little more off than find you have cut too much and you have to get the dough out of the bag and put it in another.

I regularly bake all my own bread, but I've not made cakes for a long time, usually making mug cakes nowadays. I've got a tray of tiropita in the freezer, but haven't made any other pies lately, although with winter approaching you never know. I do make biscuits from time to time, usually a large batch of thin ones. They go in the freezer too and I just take them out as needed.

Back
Top Bottom