What Does Everyone Like to Bake?

I made a black forest cake yesterday. Just made a single layer cake then cut it in half, chopped up a pound of fresh cherries, macerated in some kirschwasser, drained and used the liquid to moisten the cake layers. Used half of the cherries in between cake layers and other half on top. Whipped the cream with some confectioner's sugar with a bit of the kirschwasser, used that for in between layers and icing. Grated some bittersweet chocolate for the sides. It could have been neater, but for a quickie week night cake, not bad looking and tasted great!

2018-09-11 18.53.37.jpg

I made a black forest cake yesterday. Just made a single layer cake then cut it in half, chopped up a pound of fresh cherries, macerated in some kirschwasser, drained and used the liquid to moisten the cake layers. Used half of the cherries in between cake layers and other half on top. Whipped the cream with some confectioner's sugar with a bit of the kirschwasser, used that for in between layers and icing. Grated some bittersweet chocolate for the sides. It could have been neater, but for a quickie week night cake, not bad looking and tasted great!

View attachment 19163

It looks great. Much better than I could do as a 'quick cake'.

I wanted it to be pate a choux, but figured too many would be intimated and wouldn't try making it.

You don't absolutely have to have a piping bag, you can use a spoon and very slightly dampened fingers, but it definitely helps if you do have one. Alternatively, you can cut a corner off a gallon bag and use that, just be careful how much you cut off. It's better to have to cut a little more off than find you have cut too much and you have to get the dough out of the bag and put it in another.
Needless to say, I've ordered a piping bag with an assortment of different attachments. At some point, I do think I'll feel comfortably enough using other methods, but not with my first try. :)

Being single i don't get a chance to make a cake or pie often anymore now that family has mostly moved away, it just too much to eat before it goes bad. But i like to make brownies and cookies and left overs freeze well. I am begining to research bread making as i like certain breads but having a dickens of a time trying to find a local bakery that makes them. Like i love focaccia baked with thinly slice tomato and onion on top with garlic, herbs and parmesan but my source of focaccia has stopped making it as they didn't sell enough of it. Plus i got a bread machine and would love to make some cranberry and cinnamon bread as it is only made and sold seasonally around Christmas but i like it better than the raisan bread that is available year round.

Being single i don't get a chance to make a cake or pie often anymore now that family has mostly moved away, it just too much to eat before it goes bad. But i like to make brownies and cookies and left overs freeze well. I am begining to research bread making as i like certain breads but having a dickens of a time trying to find a local bakery that makes them. Like i love focaccia baked with thinly slice tomato and onion on top with garlic, herbs and parmesan but my source of focaccia has stopped making it as they didn't sell enough of it. Plus i got a bread machine and would love to make some cranberry and cinnamon bread as it is only made and sold seasonally around Christmas but i like it better than the raisan bread that is available year round.

There is a lovely focaccia recipe from @MypinchofItaly here :https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/apulian-focaccia.13232/

Another from @Wandering Bob here: https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/focaccia.13217/

I have made focaccia before but I don't have a recipe posted here - I'll see what I can do.

Back
Top Bottom