What food/liquid are you craving today?

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
8:03 PM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
After a rather nasty fall last week, I'm off my food in general, but I have started to crave certain foods.
My body is off solids. I guess it is possibly a side effect of having broken 4 ribs (2 on each side) and all at the bottom of the rib cage.

Now I remember reading an article that explained if you were craving sugary foods, they were not what you should eat. I know that it is the body's way of saying that you need certain vitamins or minerals (or both), but how does this all relate to my current injuries. (4 broken ribs, and a large hole in my knee - so lots of scar tissue.)

I'm currently craving
  • chocolate (this is a problem since I can't have dairy),
  • Liquids over solids
  • custard
  • Tonic water
There is a table here (http://natureworksbest.com/naturopathy-works/food-cravings/) that tells you what this translates to,

So for me:

Chocolate :what I need is magnesium: which means I should eat the following : found in Raw nuts and seeds, legumes, fruits
Liquids rather than solids : What i need is more water : Flavour water with lemon or lime. You need 8 to 10 glasses per day.
Soda and other carbonated drinks : what I need is more Calcium : found in Mustard and turnip greens, broccoli, kale, legumes, cheese, sesame.

I'm not certain what category custard would fall under. It is my comfort food, but I don't make it very sweet, so it can't really fall under sugary foods. I guess it would have to fall under liquids rather than solids?

Having a quick look at what Calcium and Magnesium do in the body, it makes sense.

Calcium is a mineral that is necessary for life. In addition to building bones and keeping them healthy, calcium helps our blood clot, nerves send messages and muscles contract. About 99 percent of the calcium in our bodies is in our bones and teeth

Magnesium is a cofactor in more than 300 enzyme systems that regulate diverse biochemical reactions in the body, including protein synthesis, muscle and nerve function, blood glucose control, and blood pressure regulation [1-3]. Magnesium is required for energy production, oxidative phosphorylation, and glycolysis.

Calcium for the rib healing, blood clots, nerve messages. Magnesium for nerve function and energy production. It makes sense given the severity of my injuries. I had extensive (and still do) bruising, scratches, a large hole above my knee and broken bones.

So what are you craving right now? And how does this relate to what is going on it your life? Does it make sense to you?

Last week, I was just constantly hungry. I also just wanted to sleep. Pretty much craving everything. No, not pregnant. It was menstrual week. I do that about once a month. Especially if it is light.

Now back in 1990, I quit getting hungry. It was several years before I got hungry again.
I was eating 3 times a week when I lost the hunger pangs.

When my husband and I got together, he would ask are you hungry, I would tell him no, but I can eat anyway. A half a child's plate would fill me up then.

Yes, I was very underweight. I was about 6 stones. I should weigh between 10 and 11 stones.
It took me about 10 years to get to 8.5 stones, then I stalled until I quit smoking then I got up to 10 stones in less than 3 months. The local charity shop offered me an exchange since I was going through sizes so fast.

Right now, and over the last few days I have been craving water a lot. I don't know if this happens when one is tired. I guess it does. However, I know that I do not drink enough water so I have been trying to do more of that. Even though regular juices can help quench thirst, it does not last long, so water is the best thirst quencher.

Well now I can't say that it is healthy but I could tell you how to lose weight on an alcohol diet.
Oh and you can have all the alcohol. I shall pass.
I'm on a permanent diet so I'm intrigued to hear about how one can lose weight on an alcohol diet. My calories from food are well under 1000 per day already!

I'm on a permanent diet so I'm intrigued to hear about how one can lose weight on an alcohol diet. My calories from food are well under 1000 per day already!
FULL DISCLOSURE: THE DIET I AM ABOUT TO GIVE YOU HAS VERY REAL SIDE EFFECTS AND SHOULD NOT BE USED UNLESS A DOCTOR APPROVES IT.

Ok, what you do is drink only wine coolers, smoke cigarettes, dance 6 hours a night and eat 3 small meals a week. You will lose weight.

Now the downsides are low blood sugar, loss of appetite, weak bones and alcoholism.
Loss of appetite is not a good thing because you forget to eat and your blood sugar and you will crash.
Also tends to lead to decisions that might give your mother a heart attack.

The last of the 4 side effects was actually the easiest one to cure.

Well I say that now, but it was a hey you are about to make a major life change. You might want to sober up and figure out if it is love or the booze talking.

FULL DISCLOSURE: THE DIET I AM ABOUT TO GIVE YOU HAS VERY REAL SIDE EFFECTS AND SHOULD NOT BE USED UNLESS A DOCTOR APPROVES IT.

Ok, what you do is drink only wine coolers, smoke cigarettes, dance 6 hours a night and eat 3 small meals a week. You will lose weight.

Now the downsides are low blood sugar, loss of appetite, weak bones and alcoholism.
Loss of appetite is not a good thing because you forget to eat and your blood sugar and you will crash.
Also tends to lead to decisions that might give your mother a heart attack.

The last of the 4 side effects was actually the easiest one to cure.

Well I say that now, but it was a hey you are about to make a major life change. You might want to sober up and figure out if it is love or the booze talking.
I gave up smoking a while back. Not easy as I was on 40 a day! Dancing is out of the question as I don't have the stamina. Back to the drawing board then!

I gave up smoking a while back. Not easy as I was on 40 a day! Dancing is out of the question as I don't have the stamina. Back to the drawing board then!
I quit smoking on January 16, 2007. That was the hardest thing I have ever done.
Oh and yes I sobered it. It must have been love because we celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary back in May.

I quit smoking on January 16, 2007. That was the hardest thing I have ever done.
Oh and yes I sobered it. It must have been love because we celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary back in May.
I like the way you remember the actual date! I'm glad you found love and gave up drink (even though I'm anti marriage). :)

I like the way you remember the actual date! I'm glad you found love and gave up drink (even though I'm anti marriage). :)
That was my 41st birthday that I quit smoking.
I quit drinking the middle of December 1990.
(Oh and I had pretty much decided men were good for three things at that point.) (Marriage was the furthest thing from my mind.)

Back
Top Bottom