What food says Home ?

sidevalve

Guru
Local time
8:31 PM
Simple really - what local dish, plain or simple that comes from your country, state, county, or even town [and that you like] says 'home' to you ?
To kick off I' have to admit it really is Yorkshire pudding [Yorkshireman I'm afraid]. So anybody else ?

I live on the Hampshire Wiltshire border ,Wiltshire is famous for its ham and it pork products while the other side of the road Hampshire is famous for its trout from the test and watercress

Staffordshire Oatcakes. They say home like nothing else. Even 1 country over, it can be hard to get hold of them let alone another country!

Oatcakes.jpg

I grew up in Australia as a child...so to me home is meat pies, lamingtons, vegemite on toast (I think vegemite is one of those things you have to grow up with to love!!), pavlova (it's a meringue based dessert that's usually topped with fresh fruit -- super yummy!), ANZAC biscuits...those are the main ones that I can think of off the top of my head! I don't live in Australia anymore, but the food still gets me nostalgic for my childhood!

Beanie weinies, without a doubt. Not beanie weinies in a can, but baked beans with hot dogs cut up in it

Lumpia says home to me and I am not from the Philipines. I grew up in a Navy town and there were lots of Fillipino people where I grew up. I would go to my friends house and have my fill of freshly made Lumpia. They were so delicious and I can't find anyone who makes them as delicious as my friends parents growing up.

I grew up in Australia as a child...so to me home is meat pies, lamingtons, vegemite on toast (I think vegemite is one of those things you have to grow up with to love!!), pavlova (it's a meringue based dessert that's usually topped with fresh fruit -- super yummy!), ANZAC biscuits...those are the main ones that I can think of off the top of my head! I don't live in Australia anymore, but the food still gets me nostalgic for my childhood!
I used to do a Anzac Day celebration for the Aussie pilots and it used to make me laugh that the food they wanted was meat pies and the sponge lamingtons, and dried pea dish similar to mushy peas , that's the taste of home for them and that's what they got

I would really like to try an Austraillian meat pie if anyone has a recipe. The closest I can think of here in the US is a "pot pie" but I do not think it would be considered the same thing. A pot pie is filled with meat, potatoes, and veggies with a gravy sauce.

I grew up in the Philippines and the one food that I have so many fond memories of is definitely pancit malabon. For those of you who don't know what it is, it's a stir fried noodle dish that has a yellow- orange color because of the fish sauce that's mixed with it. Most toppings include a variety of seafood (such as shrimp, squid, etc.) as well as many other preferred toppings (e.g. hard boiled eggs, nappa cabbage). It's mostly eaten during birthdays or for other special occasions because of its normally large serving size.

I am from the Philippines and a lot of people would think that the food that'd say "home" to me is Adobo or Halo-Halo because they're known Filipino dishes, but they're not my homey food. The food that says "home" to me is Sinigang which is a sour soup or stew that has either pork, chicken, shrimp or fish as its main meat and with loads of different vegetables like tomatoes and other greens. It's such a heartwarming dish to me and I'd always crave it when I'm away from home.

My local dish of Cou cou and Flying fish says home to me. I've never made the cou cou myself and really never used to eat it unless it was made by my mom. Recently I visited my mom and I sort of requested it thinking I would have a hand in it's preparation. I was sorry I put my mum through the process which required here using way too much energy with me unable to keep up with all the stirring of the corn meal. I still will make it a project of mine. I won't rest until I can make it the traditional with free of lumps.

Chicken adobo! The Philippines is known for this dish. Families that migrate to other countries bring this dish with them and share them with other people. Anyway, my mom makes the best chicken adobo, so whenever someone cooks this, it always reminds me of home.

Fish and chips for me. I don't live in the UK these days, so I have it less these days than I used to. But whenever I go back there for a trip I always make sure I head to the chip shop, wrapped in the paper. It just reminds me of my childhood and the special treats we would have on a Friday.

The standard answer in my city would probably be seafood gumbo. Whenever someone comes to town, especially for the first time, and asks where is the best place to eat gumbo, I always say at someone's house. It can be one of those "kitchen sink" kind of deals, and if you have it at a restaurant it may be one of a number of types from okra to file, but I like it the way my grandmother made it, and I only eat it at home.

Back
Top Bottom