What happens if you drink five litres of undiluted squash?

I need a translation. Here in the US squash is an edible gourd.
What is squash there?
Though on the question, I imagine you would be having a love affair with the loo if you tried to drink that much of anything at once.

I need a translation. Here in the US squash is an edible gourd.
What is squash there?
Though on the question, I imagine you would be having a love affair with the loo if you tried to drink that much of anything at once.
Squash is a gourd here too. But its also a concentrated fruit syrup which when water is added becomes a drink. I suspect you may have something similar in the US? Like this:

IDShot_540x540-3.jpg

Think of sugar, salt, artificial flavours and a touch of water to dissolve it all in. Then sell to customer for an extortionate amount of money claiming it contains more fresh orange, more lemon, etc than any other 'squash' and the customer has 1L of concentrate that makes roughly 20L of 'fruit' drink called orange squash or lemon squash. They can add lemonade, fizzy water or even milk to the end product.... Do you know what Ribena is? Well that above is the orange equivalent of Ribena.

These are the ingredients of Robinsons Orange Squash - it has improved since the 80's. It actually contains orange fruit for starters! But they get around listing the E numbers by listing the actual names of the E numbers instead - E numbers having such a bad press nowadays that it is better to blind the customer with chemical names than use the abbreviation!
Ingredients: Water, Orange Fruit From Concentrate (10%), Acid (Citric Acid), Acidity Regulator (Sodium Citrate), Natural Flavouring, Sweeteners (Aspartame, Saccharin), Preservatives (Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Metabisulphite), Stabiliser (Cellulose Gum), Emulsifier (Glycerol Esters of Wood Rosins), Natural Colour (Carotenes). Contains a Source of Phenylalanine.

Do I sound rather cynical?

Well I can think of a dozen drinks like that.
Most Ocean Spray cranberry juice drinks come to mind but they aren't concentrated. The water is already added. Either sugared or sugar-free.

Not sure but it might be cordial, dilute or juice (and there's also "high juice" which tends to contain a large proportion of natural fruit juice). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squash_(drink)

I remember drinking a glass full of "neat" orange squash as a kid and the result was a funny feeling and upset tummy, followed by a mad dash to the loo as all hell broke loose - I can't imagine the madness that would ensue after drinking litres of the stuff!! :eek:

Last edited:
Not sure but it might be cordial, dilute or juice (and there's also "high juice" which tends to contain a large proportion of natural fruit juice). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squash_(drink)

I remember drinking a glass full of "neat" orange squash as a kid and the result was a funny feeling and upset tummy, followed by a mad dash to the loo as all hell broke loose - I can't imagine the madness that would ensue after drinking litres of the stuff!! :eek:
Especially if one considers the poor people who have to clean out Kumbuka the gorilla's cage!

Back
Top Bottom