What have you been baking?

Lynne Guinne

Veteran
Local time
4:27 AM
I don't bake regularly, but when I do I like to show off my wares. I'm also interested in seeing the types of things the rest of you bake. Why not have a thread dedicated to baking like we have for meals?

I made two batches of breads today. First into the oven was a yeast dough, something many of you may be familiar with - Sally Lunn bread. We tried this bread decades ago the first time we visited Historical Williamsburg. Now that yeast and I are on sort of good terms, I thought I would try making a loaf. Seeing as how several of the recipes call for baking it in a bundt pan, I first had to buy one of those. Pan secured, Sally and I are now friends. This is the third time I've made it; finally getting the hang of everything.

20170607_195116.jpg

Can't wait until breakfast, when I'll toast a slice (or two) and slather it with my good butter - the Kerrygold brick I bought recently just for this occasion.

The second batch of bread into the oven were two pans of quick (baking powder) breads: a most excellent banana nut bread from my Mom's recipe, and a loaf of blueberry-lemon bread that calls for pecan nuts. As usual, the banana bread was wonderful. The blueberry-lemon bread has to be made again without pecans - I forget that we really don't like them in it as it detracts from the delicate flavor of the bread. Must make another while blueberries are in season.

20170607_214608.jpg

I wish I could invite you for tea and serve up some slices...

The second batch of bread into the oven were two pans of quick (baking powder) breads: a most excellent banana nut bread from my Mom's recipe, and a loaf of blueberry-lemon bread that calls for pecan nuts. As usual, the banana bread was wonderful. The blueberry-lemon bread has to be made again without pecans - I forget that we really don't like them in it as it detracts from the delicate flavor of the bread. Must make another while blueberries are in season.

View attachment 7679

Ooh, I'd like to try the Sally Lun bread, I think that's the one we had in Bath. I'd also like to try your lemon and blueberry bread. Have you entered it in the recipe challenge for lemons?

View attachment 7679

The blueberry-lemon bread sounds good, with or without pecan nuts.

I usually always bake wholemeal bread, but the other day I decided on white bread for a change. I used a standard recipe but the liquid was 100 ml milk/150 ml water/1 large egg. I always used soft brown sugar instead of white, and the resulting loaf was a gorgeous colour. The photo doesn't do it justice, but the "board" it was on was actually a large sheet of white paper and the "white" part of the bread was actually a very pale golden colour.

WP_20170530_13_11_43_Pro.jpg

Sadly, I don't have any pictures but I baked some banana muffins a few days ago. A few weeks ago my mom and sister came over and baked a pone and I am telling everyone I made it since it happened at my home.

I don't bake regularly, but when I do I like to show off my wares. I'm also interested in seeing the types of things the rest of you bake. Why not have a thread dedicated to baking like we have for meals?

I made two batches of breads today. First into the oven was a yeast dough, something many of you may be familiar with - Sally Lunn bread. We tried this bread decades ago the first time we visited Historical Williamsburg. Now that yeast and I are on sort of good terms, I thought I would try making a loaf. Seeing as how several of the recipes call for baking it in a bundt pan, I first had to buy one of those. Pan secured, Sally and I are now friends. This is the third time I've made it; finally getting the hang of everything.

View attachment 7676

Can't wait until breakfast, when I'll toast a slice (or two) and slather it with my good butter - the Kerrygold brick I bought recently just for this occasion.
wow I have no words..it's fantatic... I want it :devil:

I usually always bake wholemeal bread, but the other day I decided on white bread for a change. I used a standard recipe but the liquid was 100 ml milk/150 ml water/1 large egg. I always used soft brown sugar instead of white, and the resulting loaf was a gorgeous colour. The photo doesn't do it justice, but the "board" it was on was actually a large sheet of white paper and the "white" part of the bread was actually a very pale golden colour.

View attachment 7690
The photo do it justice.. Trust me!:spaghetti:

Ooh, I'd like to try the Sally Lun bread, I think that's the one we had in Bath. I'd also like to try your lemon and blueberry bread. Have you entered it in the recipe challenge for lemons?
@Kake Lover, the Sally Lunn originated in Bath, so this could be very similar to what you had. Very easy to make, and even easier to eat. *burp* The link will take you to a recipe that is identical to the one from my Williamsburg Cookbook except for one difference: the linked recipe calls for only one packet of yeast, while my cookbook recipe calls for two packets. I've always made it with the two packets. Also, while the recipe says bake it at 350 degrees F, my Bundt pan is dark. I've baked the bread at 325 and have not had a problem with either over- or under-browning.

Also, the online recipe calls for 1/2 cup vegetable shortening; the book recipe only said "shortening". Since I am able to buy pure lard from an Amish bulk food store, I used lard. I figured that was probably more authentic to the times.

Sally Lunn Bread Recipe
~ From the blog "Add A Pinch"

As far as the recipe for the Blueberry-Lemon Bread? I think it just isn't "lemony" enough to submit, but thanks for the suggestion. I it copied (by hand) from an online posting years ago, and I'm afraid it might take me forever to track it down. I won't be able to tweak it before the recipe challenge, but I want to try and adjust the liquids and see if I can get more lemon in the flavor without compromising the texture. If I get it "just right", I'll then post it to CookingBites.

Last edited:
@Kake Lover, the Sally Lunn originated in Bath, so this could be very similar to what you had. Very easy to make, and even easier to eat. *burp* The link will take you to a recipe that is identical to the one from my Williamsburg Cookbook except for one difference: the linked recipe calls for only one packet of yeast, while my cookbook recipe calls for two packets. I've always made it with the two packets. Also, while the recipe says bake it at 350 degrees F, my Bundt pan is dark. I've baked the bread at 325 and have not had a problem with either over- or under-browning.

Sally Lunn Bread Recipe
~ From the blog "Add A Pinch"

As far as the recipe for the Blueberry-Lemon Bread? I think it just isn't "lemony" enough to submit, but thanks for the suggestion. I it copied (by hand) from an online posting years ago, and I'm afraid it might take me forever to track it down. I won't be able to tweak it before the recipe challenge, but I want to try and adjust the liquids and see if I can get more lemon in the flavor without compromising the texture. If I get it "just right", I'll then post it to CookingBites.
Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom