What have you grown in your veg plot or garden this year?

Precious little this year. Apart from the established fruit trees and bushes that do their own thing, the on!y things I have grown from scratch have been tomatoes, chillies, runner beans and herbs. Being away for most of May is a huge obstacle to getting the garden going productively. This year will be different!

@epicuric

I’ve been offered seed from a friend in Tasmania for Scarlett runner beans.

Is that what you mean by runner beans?

These are actually a perennial and should reshoot every spring for at least 7 years.

I’ve never grown any but borlotti & snow peas/mange tout so I’m really curious.

These are actually a perennial and should reshoot every spring for at least 7 years
There are quite a few plants in the UK that are regarded as annuals because of the cold wet winters that kill the plant off. Yes runner beans can be of the Scarlett lady variety and that is the variety I have grown in both countries. In the south of the UK, I did successfully keep a runnerbean tuber alive over winter in a really sheltered part of my garden, but usually we would grow fresh every year from seed. By the way, you can purchase scarlet lady runner beans (in sure that's the name, I can check in the morning) in Bunnings or anywhere with a half decent selection of seeds.

Other varieties of peas and beans are very easy to grow from seed. Literally just put 2 seeds pretty hope in the ground and will, leave alone. I have a number of varieties growing this year. I'll see what happens when they produce beans and peas.

@epicuric

I’ve been offered seed from a friend in Tasmania for Scarlett runner beans.

Is that what you mean by runner beans?

These are actually a perennial and should reshoot every spring for at least 7 years.

I’ve never grown any but borlotti & snow peas/mange tout so I’m really curious.
Yes, they are the same thing, but over here they are annuals, the vines dying off in early winter. In the UK they are grown for the pods, grown to about 15-20cm. They are eaten sliced up and boiled/steamed. I grow them because they are easy, and give a huge yield in proportion to the ground area they take up.

My pea shoots grown last week on windowsill (so off topic)! I just plonked some dried peas on damp kitchen paper and kept the paper wet.

20171229_130556.jpg

Grew "unobtainium" things last year...basically produce that's very hard to find &/or isn't available through our local grocers or farmers markets
We just have a tiny strip in the back yard that gets any sufficient amount of sunlight
Kennebec potatoes - OK for french fries {chips?} but "to die for" for thinly cut chips {crisps?}!:)
Two kinds of collard greens - for making "Southern" dins..with grits & all. {froze a fair bit}

The usual tomatoes (planted too late last year, so made lots of green tomato salsa -frozen)
Always do potted herbs for convenience..sweet & Thai basil, flat & curly parsley, oregano, spearmint, thyme, chives, sage, tarragon..
..and a couple of tobacco plants..for something to do (no, I don't smoke or chew)..they were huge & sticky aphid collectors! :oops:

Growing the kennebec potatoes again this spring, along with some new herbs ..Epazote, Culantro {Eryngium foetidum} & maybe chervil & other things that probably won't grow.. ;-)

Kennebec potatoes - OK for french fries {chips?} but "to die for" for thinly cut chips {crisps?}!:)

Of course you get a lot of different varieties where you are - these I've never come across. but I'll research..

Crisps are the things that look like this (generally bought ready made in packets):

Unknown-217.jpg

French fries in the UK generally refer to thinly cut deep fried potatoes (although increasingly, the term is used for any size):

images-294.jpeg

Chips in the UK are fatter versions of French Fries:

images-295.jpeg

I know,
GF is from the UK..that's why I did the "french fries {chips?}" and "chips {crisps?}" thing :)

My French fries, err,.."chips" vary in diameter, depending on what I'm serving with them,..always twice fried,
but the chips, err, "crisps" I cut very thinly, usually skin on, and only cook once. :geek:

About to make "zero-cal chili poutine"..{not!} :porky:

I know,
GF is from the UK..that's why I did the "french fries {chips?}" and "chips {crisps?}" thing :)

Sorry - teaching granny to suck eggs! Great to make your own crisps...

Re the poutine - I understand this is a Canadian speciality. Would you care to post a recipe (as a new thread with Recipe pre-fix)?

The "crisps" aren't necessarily crisp all the way through..a bit soft on the thicker parts..but when hot/freshly made...mmm! :)
Cross between mostly crisp & chips perhaps.

As to the poutine, it's pretty easy.. just freshly fried/salted hot chips/fries, top with fresh white cheddar cheese curd and add hot brown gravy over top.
Not exactly light eating....

It's almost impossible to find fresh cheese curd here in the Vancouver area (warm and fresh, that is -it should squeak when you eat it)
Miss being near a cheese factory....I substitute with grated cheddar & mozzarella now.
Also, the brown gravy...they do have canned and packaged dry mix "poutine gravy" here, but I think it's terrible..
I'd suggest making your own.
Lots of variations on the gravy, like chili or spaghetti sauce - the latest craze here is butter chicken poutine..haven't tried that yet myself.

..waddle..waddle..

As to the poutine, it's pretty easy.. just freshly fried/salted hot chips/fries, top with fresh white cheddar cheese curd and add hot brown gravy over top.
Not exactly light eating....

Well - it might seem easy to you but I'd love to see a proper recipe from Canada! :D To me its something to be discovered. Fresh white cheddar cheese curd? I want to know more about that. Cheddar here is a hard strong cheese.

We are just starting Autumn here, over the last 3 months ive made plum sauce, tomato sauce , curried onions, strawberry jam and coulis, raspberry jam and coulis, tomato relish, so you can see ive been busy.

Back
Top Bottom