What have you grown in your veg plot or garden this year?

Thanks for sharing Russ.

I made a batch of roasted tomato relish last night after work. Like ketchup I guess but I use smoked paprika & I roast the tomatoes & onions in a hot oven first.

This year the veg plot hasn't been add productive add I would have liked. Problems with being in hospital over winter last year meant that the leeks were late in, the onions and garlic just failed and the spring onions are forgotten about (oops).
The tatties have decided not to grow very deep, despite having a deep bed which meant they didn't get much water, but that aside the ones I have dug up (or have been duggen up for me by the chooks) haven't been a bad size (around small baker to larger baker on the whole). There's plenty of leaves growing, various kales, rainbow chard and the likes which will over winter and continue to grow. There's beans and peas, though neither have been entirely great but the runner beans have time yet. Then there is the pumpkin area, Yeh. Most have found the summer to dry for them, they have grown and flowered profusely, but little fruit had taken but I do have one large Atlantic pumpkin growing in the septic tank field. It is technically planted in the veg plot but escaped through the fence. I found it on one of my walks well disguised currently being green in a sea of green leaves! It will go a blue ish green colour once ripe.
Further up the veg plot and we've got the beetroot and chilli growing. Then comes the carrots, lettuce, rocket, various other salad leaves, the aubergine (good crop this year) and the courgettes (as always a great crop).
We've then got the herbs which are doing really well, fennel and coriander are both in seed so I can gather them as well. Overall is been a middle of the ground year. We lost all of the sour cherries which was a shame and the olive tree flowered profusely but no crop. I have a feeling it needs another tree...

I’m pretty sure my pumpkins are just a sea of leaves & no actual pumpkins there at all.

The tomatoes have been pretty good and I’ve had a few cucumbers. The chillies seem to have been a waste of space. I’ve got 8 planted in various areas in the hope of finding their happy place.

My peach crop went to waste as i haven’t been able to process any at. I’ll see if the birds have left me anything and might make something today.

I need a green house to start seeds in late August/early September.

I've picked 9 kgs of strawberries this season. Made equal amounts of jam and coulis. A favourite with my kids and grandkids. Unbelievable the amount I've picked last summer. Currently averaging 8 a day but slowly coming to an end as we go into autumn.

Russ

I've picked 9 kgs of strawberries this season. Made equal amounts of jam and coulis. A favourite with my kids and grandkids. Unbelievable the amount I've picked last summer. Currently averaging 8 a day but slowly coming to an end as we go into autumn.

Russ

You obviously have green fingers. I don't think I've ever succeeded in growing any fruit at all unless you count the cherry tree in the garden which was here before we moved in.

You obviously have green fingers. I don't think I've ever succeeded in growing any fruit at all unless you count the cherry tree in the garden which was here before we moved in.

No, just an unusually hot summer here. Just got some more raspberry canes to add to ones I've got. You can't beat raspberry coulis on vanilla ice cream.

Russ

This is where most of our fruit has gone.

Poor neglected peach tree.

EEE67F10-4770-4846-B2F0-61F86DE7CEE7.jpeg

I made 4 x wine bottles of a peach chilli sauce yesterday & that will be the full extent of my peach usage this season.

I’ve been too time poor so I’m happy the birds got a feed really.

For the past 5 or so years I've tried to grow the majority of my produce myself..but I just moved three weeks ago so I'm just doing some herbs and flowers this spring/summer. I have sweet basil, silver thyme, sage, fennel (for my bunny), rosemary, German chamomile, lavender, French marigolds, zinnias and black eyed Susan's right now.

Well the peach tree isn’t neglected any more.

I rang a guy to come trim it but he didn’t show up so my partner watched some videos on trimming fruit trees and then spent 4 hours “trimming” the poor thing.

I hope it eventually recovers.

Right now it’s hosting solar fairy lights for a big bash we have coming up on the weekend.

Back
Top Bottom