What I Found In My Refrigerator/Freezer

The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
11:11 AM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
Welcome to “What I Found In My Refrigerator/Freezer“: where we share things that may perhaps have been in our refrigerator or freezer a little bit longer than they should have. In fact, these are things we completely forgotten about, until they emerge in a different form.

I expect this to be both educational and therapeutic.

I’ll start. First, we post what we found, without description. Then, the studio audience posts their guesses of what they think these things are.

86ED9DF9-FC25-4C47-B832-08904112EEDA.jpeg

Any guesses?

What a fun thread. I'll move it to the Challenges thread as it is a sort of quiz/challenge.

That looks like one wizened Brussels sprout. I'm not sure what the brown stuff is. Cous-cous?
Partial credit: yes, that's a completely and utterly bone-dry Brussels sprout. I had a bag of them that I thought I used up, but this little one made a break for freedom.

It's probably closer to being a decorative dried flower than something you'd want to eat. But....yes, I had to take a nibble, since there was no sign of decay. After rehydrating, it's not bad. It tastes like a Brussels sprout. Still...not what I'd recommend as a storage method.

I'll give you a hint on the other item: it's not a grain. Here's another hint: this was found in the freezer.

Okay...you've all suffered enough.

The other thing is...orange peel. And, best of all, it's still good! I don't taste any freezer burn. I think I've bought oranges at least once since I put this in the freezer, and used their peel instead. I will try this in a recipe.

Unless I forget about them again.

Last edited:
Okay...you've all suffered enough.

The other thing is...orange peel. And, best of all, it's still good! I don't taste any freezer burn. I think I've bought oranges at least once since I put this in the freezer, and used their peel instead. I will try this in a recipe.

Unless I forget about them again.

Its 'cos it looks brown I suppose. Oranges don't spring to mind!

Welcome to “What I Found In My Refrigerator/Freezer“: where we share things that may perhaps have been in our refrigerator or freezer a little bit longer than they should have. In fact, these are things we completely forgotten about, until they emerge in a different form.

I agree with @morning glory . What a great thread. I am almost afraid to start digging in my freezer now. :eek:

Nice thread!!

I was about to say that the orange peel looked like across between sauerkraut & bulgar wheat! :unsure:
It does!

I just wish I had taken a picture of a slice of pizza that I found at the back of my refrigerator a few months ago. It had pastel green circles on it, which I knew to be mold. It almost looked pretty.

I know that there's ¾ kg of beef suet somewhere in the back. It was intended for dumplings but I never got around to it last "winter". Much too hot for dumplings at present.

Back
Top Bottom