What influenced your love of cooking?

Elawin

Guru
Local time
6:53 AM
I stayed in a very rural part of Greece in the 1960s. I lived in a village called Exohi, which at the time did not even have road access let alone gas, electricity or running water! I also visited a village in Austria, where I have friends, on several occasions in the early 1960s up to the early 1970s, as well as several other quite rural locations also in the 1960s. I visited Italy too in the 1960s, and although none of these places could actually be described as rural even in those days, they were often not touristy like they are now. And of course I lived and worked in Germany.

I came home from all of these places armed with local recipes, I think all of them started my love of cooking.

It's not just places but also people who influenced me. In my younger days I had many boyfriends who were decidedly not English, and I am quite sure my parents were absolutely horrified. Many of them though used to take me to "proper" restaurants where they and their families would eat out regularly (as opposed to the restaurants and takeaways we have now), and quite a considerable number of them used to cook too, so I started learning quite a lot from them.

The people I miss most, and wish I had asked about food, are my cousin in Saudi Arabia, and my brother, who lived in Australia and came home by bus via Sri Lanka, India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, the Middle East and eastern Europe. My cousin went to live and work Saudi Arabia in the 1950s, when foreigners were not normally allowed in except by invitation, and he lived there until a couple of years ago, when he retired to Spain and where he sadly died. I only saw him again on two or three occasions, but my Mum used to write to him right up until she died in the early 1980s. It was several years before I came across him again (on Facebook) and we used to reminisce but I always regret not asking him about food. My brother was not a foodie, although he used to tell us anecdotes about some of the food and drinks he had while on his travels. I just regret not asking them more.

A grandson of my cousin has recently moved to the UK from what was his home in China, close to the border with North Korea. Now that is food for thought!

Family, friends, and moving.

My Mom was a wonderful cook, making the best of all the usual dishes and Polish favorites, but she never got fancy. I learned much about the basics from her, and about how much love you could show your family and friends by welcoming them to share at your table.

My great aunt came to live with us when I was seven, until her death - when I was 18. Mom worked part-time but still cooked all the meals. Nana, on the other hand, took over the family baking. I would sit with her while she made pie crust or pączki (poonch-key, or mashed potato donuts), talking about what she was doing and why. I didn't know it at the time, but she taught me a lot about the science of baking without it sounding like a classroom lesson.

When I started to work, one of the women in the office took me under her wing. "V" and her husband were childless and led a rich, interesting life - one that appeared to be exotic to a simple girl from a middle class family. They acted as host families to University students who came from somewhere other than the United States. Sometimes I was asked to help her prepare the meal (a true honor) and join in at the table. She was a fine cook, and did the "fancy" stuff. It is from her I found out how good things like capers, raw mushrooms, and fine cheese are. Helped her make pate and other involved dishes. She and her students taught me that cooking food that is comforting to you and sharing with people who are unfamiliar with it can be a great learning experience on both ends.

Fast forward to when our kids were just graduating high school, moving on to college...and hubby was told that his job was moving, too. When we got to Massachusetts, I knew no one, had no new routine established, and had to find a way to occupy my time. I turned to my collection of cookbooks (and, later, the internet) and started to prepare what I thought of as "fussy" meals. They took way more time than I had when our kids lived at home and I had a full schedule that didn't allow time for "fussy". Now I welcome new neighbors when they move in by taking a meal over to them...and the circle goes 'round.

I began cooking at home.

With 12 siblings all living in the nest, when anyone cooked, we had to cook an entire meal for everyone, so that meant that you had to cook almost like you were cooking for the US Army. Imagine what it was like cooking for a holiday, such as Thanksgiving or the Fourth of July!! :ohmy:

@Elawin

Good topic.

Food and cooking are an integral part of my Acadian heritage.

I have always enjoyed cooking. I started with traditional, regional recipes. Sometimes with great success. Sometimes epic fails.

In my 20's I did a little business travel and became interested in foods from different regions of the U.S. Still mostly southern. I served in the USN and USN Reserves. Uncle Same gave me the opportunity to travel to many more regions of the U.S., once to England and once to Spain. That really piqued my interest.

I started experimenting with different ingredients and different techniques.

When I retired I had more time to play with my food. I also started watching cooking shows.

Now I found all of you!

You have made me realize that I have only barely stuck my toe outside of my comfort zone. Reading your wonderful recipes and seeing your beautiful photos challenges me to amp it up.

Thank you all for being so patient with me and for making me feel so welcome.

Cooking Rocks!

@Elawin
You have made me realize that I have only barely stuck my toe outside of my comfort zone. Reading your wonderful recipes and seeing your beautiful photos challenges me to amp it up.
Exactly! I like trying recipes that others have posted on here, especially ones from far flung places whose food I've never tried before. It all adds to the excitement of preparing, cooking, and eating food. Not all my attempts have been successful, and I expect several of you roll your eyes when I comment on your food, but at least I've given it a try. I hope you all try mine as well.

My mother was not a great cook and as a "functioning food on the table" cook she also had a timetable for all meals. Sunday Roast, Monday leftovers, Tuesday lasagne etc.

In 1997 I got married and this was around the time Nigella Lawson started publishing books and having TV programmes. I completely fell in love with her style of cooking, writing and presenting. My husband bought her first book How to Eat as a Christmas present and from there its mushroomed to me buying everyone of her books on release day. From there I discovered other chef's/cooks recommended by Nigella and its grown. This coupled with being able to travel, and my other obsession Italy have been the biggest influences.

My mother's influence was to ensure I rarely cook the same thing twice :roflmao:

My parents died either side of my fifteenth birthday, so I was rather forced into learning how to provide for myself. My cooking still tends to be a bit unorthodox, being very much of the "let's throw this lot in and see what materialises" variety, doubtless a legacy of my early attempts at cookery. I've never used recipes and I've always tended to make it up as I go along, but I rather like it that way.

At the age of 18 years and 1 month I was deposited 100 miles from home with a couple of pans, a plate, bowl and wooden spoon and had to get on with it.:o_o:

My love of cooking grew out of my love for eating, and my pleasure at seeing others enjoy what I had created. Travel and the opportunity to sample new foods and new ideas inspired me to keep learning.

Back
Top Bottom