What is a good sipping wine?

Zyni

Veteran
Local time
10:06 PM
Most wine "experts" seem to think wine is only for drinking with food, but sometimes, I just want to sip some wine. Sometimes, I like to have a glass or two after a nice meal as well, and I'm probably not going to sit and sip a bold red. So, which wines do think work best as "sipping wine"?

Honestly: which ever wine you like the most. I enjoy doing this with red wines... maybe have a couple of different pieces of cheese etc. Usually something from Bordeaux or then south american ones, though I'm really not picky so often I just go to the store and grab a bottle I haven't tried before.

Most wine "experts" seem to think wine is only for drinking with food...

Actually, that isn't quite true. Take champagne and other sparkling wines used for toasting and celebrating, for instance. These are not necessarily meant for consumption with food, especially in modern wine production. Just like with food pairing, most people drink what they like when they like with or without what they like.

Some wines are better enjoyed with foods because the food brings out certainly qualities in the wine and vice versa. Some reds have a higher alcohol content, etc. The best wine for sipping on its own is anything that is pleasant that doesn't make you feel like you're going to be drunk after having it. It really is a matter of personal preference though.

What I personally look for is something that doesn't require food, isn't too heavy, too dry or too sweet. That can be anything from Chianti to Cabernet in a red, or Torrontes to Txakolina in a white. (Not big on bubbles.)

Do you prefer your wine to be freshly chilled or do you not mind it it hits room temperature? If you intend to drink something slowly, you need to make sure it's at your preferred temperature. White wine may warm up too much if drunk over the course of a couple of hours, this wouldn't matter too much for a red (assuming you like it at room temp. that is!)

As above and all good points but the answer is - anything you like. Would you drink vinegar if the experts said it was 'correct'? Of course not, drink what you like and enjoy it. Many people sneer at the 70s but as was sort of proved by my comments [and others] in another thread back then most people just drank what they enjoyed and were a lot happier for it

My favourite is a Merlot, generally they are sipping wines, tasty but not too bold.

As above and all good points but the answer is - anything you like. Would you drink vinegar if the experts said it was 'correct'? Of course not, drink what you like and enjoy it. Many people sneer at the 70s but as was sort of proved by my comments [and others] in another thread back then most people just drank what they enjoyed and were a lot happier for it

Nope, I don't really put that much weight into what others that you "have" to have. I just couldn't find any good recommendations for a sipping wine from most of the sites I visit. They're more into pairings and some seem to think that the only way to drink wine is with food. I think drink what you like is good advice too. I've recently sampled a few, and I haven't landed on just the right one yet.

I do enjoy Merlot, but I think I'll keep testing for a bit. It's been fun trying new wines.

Lots of great responses, so thank you for the advice, everyone.

Back
Top Bottom