What is succotash?

ChowDownBob

Supersize Me!
Local time
6:36 PM
Saw it mentioned in another cooking forum but without any detail as to what it was?

The context was cooking various national dishes so presumably it's pretty popular somewhere in the world?

A Warner Cartoons staple...

$_35.JPG

Succtash is a a native American dish made from corn, peppers, zucchini, lima beans, cooked and mixed together. It makes a nice side dish to chicken. I will often stir fry together corn, peppers and zucchini. It's a delicious combination of flavours. The colours are so pretty together.

It's an interesting and cheap dish that I had not heard of but rather fancy trying to make.

succotash (from Narragansettsohquttahhash, "broken corn kernels"[1]) is a food dish consisting primarily ofsweet corn with lima beans or other shell beans. Other ingredients may be added including tomatoes and green or sweet red peppers.[2] Combining a grain with a legume provides a dish that is high in all essential amino acids.[3][4]Because of the relatively inexpensive and more readily available ingredients, the dish was popular during theGreat Depression in the United States. It was sometimes cooked in a casserole form, often with a light pie crust on top as in a traditional pot pie. Succotash is a traditional dish of many Thanksgiving celebrations in New England[5]as well as in Pennsylvania and other states. In some parts of the American South, any mixture of vegetables prepared with lima beans and topped with lard or butter is called succotash. The Native Americans of the northeastern woodlands were the first to prepare the dish.
from the infamous wiki!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Succotash

succotash.jpg
I've added a BBC for recipe for it in the beans area. I'll link to it in a minute.
Here www.cookingbites.com/threads/succotash.5970/

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom