What is the cheapest creative cooking utensil/equipment in your kitchen?

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
11:09 AM
I am talking creative - so not your potato peeler (although arguably a potato peeler can be very creative). My favourite cheap item is a julienne cutter - it cost a few pounds only and produces perfect julienne strips!

15806_1-2.jpeg

Last edited:
I am talking creative - so not your potato peeler (although arguably a potato peeler can be very creative). My favourite cheap item is a julienne cutter - it cost a few pounds only and produces perfect julienne strips!

View attachment 6796
I have never seen one of those before. I couldn't quite see how it works so came across this (used on the courgette)...

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/content/videos/SharpPeel_range_v3.mp4

I know that's not a potato peeler, but similar looking potato peelers (which are cheap) look make lovely long, thin 'ribbons' of veg, e.g. carrots, courgettes (as can also be seen by that link)

I have never seen one of those before. I couldn't quite see how it works so came across this (used on the courgette)...

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/content/videos/SharpPeel_range_v3.mp4

I know that's not a potato peeler, but similar looking potato peelers (which are cheap) look make lovely long, thin 'ribbons' of veg, e.g. carrots, courgettes (as can also be seen by that link)
Yes - mine came from lakeland. I have tried other ones but they don't work so well. Mine is the julienne peeler at the top of the image in the last shot. And there is a quick shot of the courgette being 'juienned'.

Yes - mine came from lakeland. I have tried other ones but they don't work so well. Mine is the julienne peeler at the top of the image in the last shot. And there is a quick shot of the courgette being 'juienned'.
I don't have much call for julienne strips plus I have good/quick knifing skills (e.g. a City & Guilds certificate).

How do you use them, i.e. in what dishes? Stir fries? I can see they might be good in a spaghetti sauce.

I don't have much call for julienne strips plus I have good/quick knifing skills (e.g. a City & Guilds certificate).

How do you use them, i.e. in what dishes? Stir fries? I can see they might be good in a spaghetti sauce.
For garnishing mainly - in salads - here is cucumber in and on ztatziki

IMGP1792.jpg

And candied lemon peel:
IMGP0481.jpg

That is cheaper than I got mine. And it will fit over the lips on most pans.

Back
Top Bottom