What is the difference between an Executive Chef and a Sous Chef?

ReadmeByAmy

Veteran
Local time
6:02 AM
Based on what I had read and learned from some articles, in a restaurant an Executive Chef is the head chef who had the highest command in the kitchen. While a Sous Chef is working directly under the supervision of an Executive Chef and is the one who had a second command in the kitchen.

What do you think which work is easy being an Executive Chef or just a Sous Chef?

In my opinion the work of a Sous Chef is not that easy because when the head chef is not around the whole responsibility of the kitchen like commanding all the kitchen staffs will be entrusted to you and it must be really a tough job.

Last edited:
Executive chef is a more desk job, writing menus, specifications, costings, may be envolved in purchasing , even a bit of training
Then comes their lieutenant a head chef , runs the production of the establishment and runs out the wxecs ideas , a sous chef is a step down from a head chef it would be his second in command
But it can get complicated when you get senior sous chefs, executive sous chefs

Executive chef is a more desk job, writing menus, specifications, costings, may be envolved in purchasing , even a bit of training
Then comes their lieutenant a head chef , runs the production of the establishment and runs out the wxecs ideas , a sous chef is a step down from a head chef it would be his second in command
But it can get complicated when you get senior sous chefs, executive sous chefs
Very interesting and very informative. I had no idea what the titles really meant before. It is always great to learn something new.

There is an entire hierarchy in the kitchen with these job titles. For a fuller explanation, here is a good start: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brigade_de_cuisine

You will have probably noticed that under each member's name under their avatar there is a title which refers to this hierarchy. The more you post, the longer you're here, the more 'likes' you receive, the higher up the forum's hierarchy you go. One of Shaun's (the forum founder) little jokes! (It must amuse @Berties, who is a professional chef in real life, is currently a mere 'saucier'!)

<---- see here.

Back
Top Bottom