What is the most popular meal/dish in your part of the world?

Local time
2:48 PM
I know each country has a particular dish that is preferred by most of the nationals, and that forms part of their diet on a regular basis. What would you say is the most popular meal to cook where you live, or what do you cook more often than anything else throughout the course of the week?

Where I live, rice is a very popular dish. I tend to cook rice more often than anything else during the course of a week. Rice and peas (any kind of peas) along with beef stew or chicken stew, is a regular meal with most people. Rice also goes well with any kind of fish, steam or fried. When attending either luncheons or dinners at a restaurant, rice and peas is a dish that is never left out. Second to this would be cream potatoes which also goes well with most meats, including fish. Macaroni pie is a treat which most people prefer to cook on Sundays. However, this is a meal that is seldom left out at a luncheon or a dinner, or on special occasions like Christmas or Easter.

What about Cou cou and flying fish our National Dish and a good Bajan soup?

Yes, cou cou and flying is specific to our country and is our own national dish. However, even though it is our national dish, people have special days for cooking it, like, for instance, on Saturdays rather than regularly throughout the week. Bajan soup is good too, but may not be done on as regular a basis as rice. In fact, I tend to cook soup like every two weeks or so, and it is a dish that I enjoy cooking. However, a week would not go by without my having rice in some form or the other. It is always present in my cupboard.

Last edited:
My country has different states with different cultures. Every culture has their own cuisine with some special dishes. I live in Punjab which is famous for its butter chicken, chole bhature, makki di roti and sarson da saag. Masala dosa, idli, vada, uttapam and sambhar are the specialties of South India. Puran Poli is a famous dish from Maharashtra. Rogan Josh is a famous dish from Kashmir.

According to a lot of opinion polls its Chicken Tikka Masala - the popular Indian restaurant dish. But most people don't make it themselves, they get a take-away or buy it as a ready meal. But as a regular dish every week then its hard to know. In the UK we have been exposed to such a huge diversity of foods from all over the world. I think that probably pasta features on lots and lots of people's menus every week because its cheap, easy to cook and versatile. But its hardly indigenous to the UK!

Back
Top Bottom