What is the worst smelling ingredient you've ever used in a recipe?

Shaun

Guru
Local time
11:15 PM
We've all got different things we like the taste and smell of, but what is the worst smelling ingredient you've ever used in a recipe?

Some might say asafoetida - its like smelly socks but I rather like it. And then there is fish sauce which most people hate (aroma wise). But I've never used durian fruit (mainly because I can't get it here otherwise I would!). That is supposed to smell like dead rats.

I'm not certain either. I love the smell of asafoetida. It says flavour to me and, well I just like it. I don't like aniseed bit that is a personal thing and caraway seeds don't smell great to be but in certain foods (usually when I'm in that country) they work really well and I like them.

I guess having been veggie for so long, rather like walking passed a butchers shop, raw flesh of any kind (may, fish etc) smells awful, but then I wouldn't be cooking with it!

Some might say asafoetida - its like smelly socks but I rather like it. And then there is fish sauce which most people hate (aroma wise). But I've never used durian fruit (mainly because I can't get it here otherwise I would!). That is supposed to smell like dead rats.

Fish sauce can be very pungant but is great to use so a fair balance, we came across durian fruit in Borneo :sick: rank is not the word

Vieux-Boulogne cheese
Used it in a tartiflette style potato dish instead of reblochon,stinks bad !

Shrimp paste! I hate both the smell and the taste. It is considered to be an essential ingredient in Sambal Udang but I exclude it without detriment to the finished dish (IMO).

sambal%20udang%20naan_zpswkhenxzj.jpg

Shrimp paste! I hate both the smell and the taste. It is considered to be an essential ingredient in Sambal Udang but I exclude it without detriment to the finished dish (IMO).

sambal%20udang%20naan_zpswkhenxzj.jpg

Yes that does whiff quite a bit but an essential ingredient. That dish looks tasty :hungry:

Back
Top Bottom