What is your best oil for deep frying?

GadgetGuy

(Formerly Shermie)
Local time
12:09 PM
Supposedly, peanut oil is best for deep frying, but that mainly pertains to doing a whole turkey, & since it is ridiculously expensive, I go with canola or soybean oil.

Comments please. :wink:

I always use canola..I don't deep fry much at home so I just bring home oil from work and use it once..I like it because it is very neutral flavored and inexpensive..

I keep used oil in the fridge. That way, it does not spoil as fast. Whenever I make roux for a thickening agent, I grab some of it. :wink:

This is a handy table:

l_1962_2ebaff3ba6c573dd3b932e84ee6910b9.png

Although I haven't checked any of it.

I don't deep,fry that much anyway. But when I do, I make sure that I have the oil that can tolerate high heat the most. :wink:

This is a handy table:
It seems that just about anything can be made into an oil!

I generally use canola oil for every day frying, but I do use peanut oil when I've fried turkeys. I think the issue of smoke points matters more when you have a massive beast that can burn your house down and put you in the emergency room...no sense taking a chance when those are the stakes! I'm not particularly worried about flare-ups when I make french fries, so I use canola oil. As @Rocklobster noted, it's cheap and the neutral flavor won't detract from what you're frying.

We used to use canola oil, but it seemed to add an odd taste to the fried food. Now, when we do deep fry, we use vege oil.

I'm sure I had a pope's eye steak cooked in hydrocarbons in the canteen of the pipe bending crew back in '75. Probably on a shovel.

Those were the days before nouvelle cuisine.
This reminds me of a recipe I saw not long ago:

fe26bourdainrecipe.jpg

Anthony Bourdain has a recipe for Korean Army Stew, which apparently is much better than it sounds.

A quote from the article:

Just looking at the ingredients might make it sound like a horror, but it very quickly comes together and becomes delicious.

I think this must mean the SPAM and hot dogs in the ingredients? Everything else except the baked beans and noodles is packed with Korean flavour. Fusion food!

Surprised no one has mentioned an air fryer. Paula Deen and several chefs have been selling them on the shopping channels.

Surprised no one has mentioned an air fryer. Paula Deen and several chefs have been selling them on the shopping channels.

We have had discussions about those in other threads - but they are not 'deep frying'. Start a new thread if you want. I keep considering getting one.

I don't deep fry much, but use duck fat for chips (fries) and rapeseed oil for anything else. Olive oil for general shallow frying.

I don't deep fry much, but use duck fat for chips (fries) and rapeseed oil for anything else. Olive oil for general shallow frying.

Thank you for reminding me of other fats used for deep frying. When I make carnitas, I use Manteca or leaf lard. It really doesn't deep fry, but simmers in the lard. I also use lard for re-fried beans. We also haven't made duck confit in a long time.

Back
Top Bottom