What is your current "read"?

@Francesca, there is something magical when you read a foreign magazine in its native tongue!

When I was a high school student back in the dark ages, I would pick up issues of Paris Match and Elle from a Cleveland newsstand that carried a wide range of foreign language periodicals and newspapers. It was an enjoyable way to give a bit of a boost to my learning. Even after all these decades, I can still recall quite of bit of what I learned in two years of high school French.

Bleak House is finished, thus completing my set of Dickens novels. I think that it is perhaps the most complex of his novels, with a hint of George Eliot's Middlemarch in the way that several plots are woven together. I also wonder if he took some inspiration from his friend Wilkie Collins; the detective element of the novel, for example, and also the unusual (for Dickens) use of more than one narrator.

Bleak House is finished, thus completing my set of Dickens novels. I think that it is perhaps the most complex of his novels, with a hint of George Eliot's Middlemarch in the way that several plots are woven together. I also wonder if he took some inspiration from his friend Wilkie Collins; the detective element of the novel, for example, and also the unusual (for Dickens) use of more than one narrator.
I haven't started Middlemarch yet, although I have got the (audio)book; and I still prefer Wilkie Collins over Dickens any day.

My October Magazine Editions of:

1) Yam - French Magazine Published by Multi Michelin Yannick Alleno ..
2) Thuriès Gastronomie Magazine .. French ..
3) Top Chef La Revista - Spanish ..
4) Master Chef Magazine - French ..
5) Club de Gourmets - Spanish ..
6) Wine Spectator - English ..

Have a lovely day ..

AADESSERTPATROUGEREAUXTHURIESe5d7c4c976ab1f0e381d238101b8c9bf.jpg

You embarrass me with your sophisticated reading list.

I am a voracious reader. My taste was once described as "Catholic" meaning universal.

Characterization is my first criteria for a good author. I want three dimensional characters in the stories. When I finish a book I want to feel as if I am saying good bye to friends - people I know.

Current favorites:

Khaled Hosseini

Kite Runner
A Thousand Splendid Suns
And the Mountains Echoed

Waiting for his next book.

Fredrik Backman

A Man Called Ove
My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry
And Every Morning the Way Home Gets Longer and Longer

The next Backman book on my list.

Britt-Marie Was Here

John Grisham

Not his lawyer books. I got tired of those after 3 or 4.

His other books really show his talent as an author

The Painted House
Bleachers
Playing for Pizza
Skipping Christmas
Calico Joe
Gray Mountain

I am a die hard Stephan King fan. If you were to strip him of his horror genre there would still be an extremely talented author. Yes there is blood and gore in his novels but there is always an element of psychological horror. Your worst nightmare. His characterization is perfection.

Greg Iles - trilogy

Natchez Burning
The Bone Tree
Mississippi Blood

Very well written and at times a little too close to home historical truth.

James Michener - an oldie but goody

Historical novels

Epics rather than books. Lots of research for historical accuracy. Gripping stories, eye catching descriptions, "Good Bye My Friend" characterization.

Mark Twain collection
Charles Dickens - not yet complete collection
Hemmingway
Bronte Sisters
Steinbeck
Harper Lee
Jean Auel - 1980's Earth's Children series
J.K. Rawling - Harry Potter series
Anne Rice - vampire series
Anne Rice - Sleeping Beauty trilogy - erotica

The list goes on. I love to read. I read a lot. I always have a book with me.

@ElizabethB, there are books which resonate with me in your list. But I'm not a great reader. I'm too impatient. Its sad really as my very best friend often recommends something for me to read and lends me the book. I have to (ashamedly) return it saying I couldn't get beyond the first chapter. :oops:

@ElizabethB

Dear, I do not consider my reading gastronomic magazines sophisticated .. Our whole famlly is or was in a related gastronomic field and this is how we keep up to date on seasonal selection, upcoming Culinary Artists, new restaurants, travel destinations, starred chefs in the news and their latest restaurants or projects, wines etcetra ..

I just do not care much for fiction of any type ..

I had read hundreds of books in high school including all of Ernest Hemmingway ´s Works which I have in English in hardcover .. He has always been my favorite North American Author ..

However, I am in business and have so little free time, that my way to stay on top of my field, I read the above magazines monthly and sometimes even more food & travel related magazines in the Trade and Business Travel Sectors .. There is a British Magazine I receive as well called Food & Travel which I have found quite informative on their travel destinations ..

Have a nice evening and back to my Portuguese Magazine in English I had acquired ..

The one piece of fiction which I really consider a jewel of books, and it is really a historical novel was The Fountainhead which was also a film featuring Gary Cooper and Patricia O'Neill .. I read the book quite a long time ago as I am an architect enthusiast ..

Have a lovely evening ..

Last days I've found a book in English in my library, "to kill a mookingbird" (il buio oltre la siepe) when I went to an English course many time ago. Noè it's in my bag. I think it could be very useful for me to read it again in English and do some language exercises.

I watched the film about 6 months ago. Gregory Peck. Good film. I haven't read the book.

Back
Top Bottom