What is your current "read"?

@MypinchofItaly & @Yorky

I had seen the film millions of times however, never read the book .. If you like Gregory Peck, you should read Kilimanjaro by Ernest Hemmingway. The film is a saga with Susan Hayward and Ava Gardner and of course, Gregory Peck is the leading actor .. A gem !

Have a lovely day ..

Last edited:
If you can read Italian or if you prefer English, this masterpiece is on PDF in English ..
It is amazingly incredible ..
Author, Historian & Restaurateur in Rímini Beach & Dubai: Maurizio Pelli ..

BOOKMAURIZIOPELLI14915411_918535831614001_7275497645004906481_n.jpg

Last edited:
If you can read Italian or if you prefer English, this masterpiece is on PDF in English ..
It is amazingly incredible ..
Author, Historian & Restaurateur in Rímini Beach & Dubai: Maurizio Pelli ..

View attachment 11058

OMG What a photo!
"Read my book or I chop you!" :devil:

Last days I've found a book in English in my library, "to kill a mookingbird" (il buio oltre la siepe) when I went to an English course many time ago. Now it's in my bag. I think it could be very useful for me to read it again in English and do some language exercises.
My copy is in German! I watched the film too, but a long time ago. I have got Go Set a Watchman as an audiobook, but haven't listened to it yet.

I've been fixing some Southern dishes over the past couple of years, so I figured a Southern foods book would be interesting. I just picked up "The Potlikker Papers: a Food History of the Modern South" from the library. No recipes, just words...lots of them, in tiny print. I hope I can squeeze out some time to read the book between getting things ready for vacation and getting the house clean. If not, I can always renew and take it with me! (Or...forget about cleaning and read.)

I've not long finished Jane Austen's Sense and Sensibility. While, I enjoyed it, I didn't think it was as good as Pride and Prejudice or even Northanger Abbey. I found the characters a bit anodyne, but I suppose one should consider that this was Austen's first novel.

I am now reading A History of the World in Twelve Maps by Jerry Brotton. I find this most interesting, particularly from the point of view of how people in ancient and medieval times viewed the world, how it looked and how it sat within the universe as a whole. Maps are intriguing; they are rarely what one might call neutral. There is usually some kind of agenda behind a map, whether political, religious or whatever else.

Something I didn't realise was that maps produced by Islamic mapmakers are done with south at the top.

Last edited:
While I'm on the subject of first novels, I recently took a peek at the website of my publisher. As an author, you get your own individual page with lots of stuff about your own book. It has a breakdown of sales and while it's only fair to observe that my numbers are not, ahem, stratospheric, I have - for reasons that are utterly unclear to me - generated more sales for my novel in the US than I have in the UK. Mystified.

Novel singular...I've had two books published, one a novel and one a factual account of the time I spent working as a volunteer in Eritrea.

My novel is called The King. The other book is entitled Life in the Sauna. The latter seems to be heavily discounted (in the UK, at least). I can't say if that's good or bad.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tom-Locke/e/B00JOCH0V2/ref=dp_byline_cont_book_1

@Duck59 :laugh:

I am currently enamored with a Swedish author - Fredrik Backman. I am reading Bear Town. I have also read A Man Called Ove, My Grandmother Asked Me To Tell You She's Sorry and And Every Morning The Way Home Gets Longer And Longer. Next will be Britt-Marie Was Here.

BOOKANGELEON906925_10151307105405764_69371264_o.jpg

Three Michelin Star Chef Angél León ´s 1st book .. A nautical Researcher and Food designer who collaboarated with a Japanese Manufacturer to créate a means of creating Plankton transparent which the chef employs in some of his renowned shellfish and fish dishes. The son of two medical doctors who is the owner of an incredible restaurant called APONIENTE in El Puerta de Santa Maria, Cadiz and is now opening a fish & shellfish bar in Madrid ..

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom