What is your current "read"?

I had to start with book no. 3 as the first two hadn't come out in the UK - don't know why as they are brilliant!
P.S. His name is Jo Nesbo BTW or has predictive text shown it's ugly head?!

AFAIK He didn't write/publish the Harry Hole stories in order anyway. I believe that I now have the full set of ebooks.

AFAIK He didn't write/publish the Harry Hole stories in order anyway. I believe that I now have the full set of ebooks.
They were originally published in order but the first two were not translated into English until fairly recently. I have a full set made up of some print and some audiobooks.

Barracoon:The Story of the Last Black Cargo - Nora Neal Hurston. Well I had heard of this book before it even came out and was looking forward to reading it, I went to the library and put a reservation on it so when it came in I would get it quickly. This is about the last surviving slave from the last slave ship to make it American and he tells of the experience, It is something I think most people ought to read, it is an eye opening account of his experiences and even though the author recorded his speech phonetically which at first takes some getting used it to it feels at times as though you are listening to the interviewee himself.

It has added to my understanding and given me another perspective into Slavery that I never had before. I will never understand his experience but it does give you a view you may not have had before and considering human trafficking still occurs it might even spur people into taking some action to help stop this ongoing human misery. I cannot say enough about this book if you can get a copy give it a read.

I am "reading" part 1 of Scarlet City by Rebecca Gablé - it's actually an Audible Original drama, in three parts, some 27 1/2 hours of listening. It's a typical mediaeval historical fiction, and so far is very good.

I just finished Kristen Britain's Mirror Sight its book 5 in the Green Rider series. Its of the Fantasy genre. I have enjoyed the whole series. So it has magic and monsters, war and swords and such.

I think I've been through a few books since I was last on this thread. I read an excellent history of Argentinian football by Jonathan Wilson. In fact, it was as much a social history of Argentina as anything else and most interesting.

Currently, I am reading a history of Sicily by John Julius Norwich. I bought this book just a week or so before the author died, so if felt a bit poignant. I've enjoyed quite a few of his works, including a trilogy on Byzantium and a history of Venice. I find his style of writing thoroughly pleasurable. He is clearly very knowledgeable about his subject matter and his rather wry and self-deprecating sense of humour shines through.

I was waiting to find a copy of this either at the Library to become available or for someone to lend me a copy I was not willing to buy a copy of this particular book. Shattered was an insiders perspective of failed Clinton campaign. If you are interested in politics this is worth reading just to get a perspective of an insider. Not the best written book or very thought provoking but for a light political read it is okay. I don't imagine it taking long to read.

EM Forster did not write many novels (six, if we include a posthumous one), but a few have left their mark. Thus far, I have read only A Room with a View, but I've started on Howards End. I'm not quite sure what to make of Forster, whether he himself was rather snobbish or is just using irony through his characters. His writing reminds me a little of Jane Austen, although they were roughly a century apart.

EM Forster did not write many novels (six, if we include a posthumous one), but a few have left their mark. Thus far, I have read only A Room with a View, but I've started on Howards End. I'm not quite sure what to make of Forster, whether he himself was rather snobbish or is just using irony through his characters. His writing reminds me a little of Jane Austen, although they were roughly a century apart.

Through his poetry I always thought he was using irony. But I haven;t read any in ages and I've never read any of his novels.

Just finished 'The Others' by Frank Herbert and 'Wessex Tales' by Thomas Hardy.

Currently reading 'Hornet Flight' by Ken Follett and 'Death in the Dordogne' by Martin Walker.

Are you a two books at once reader? I'm incapable of doing that - I just get confused.

Yes, I'll often have one book being read on my Kindle, and one 'real' book open.

Also while at work on a late shift I will often read for half an hour while taking a partial break to prepare and eat my evening meal. So I will very often have a home book and a work book.
I can't go home for my meal as I have to remain 'on watch' so I eat at work. Bit of a nuisance when something goes Pete Tong when you're tucking in to your meal!.

So I will very often have a home book and a work book.

I have a variation on that theme which is an 'upstairs' book - quality reading in the bedroom for late at night - and a 'downstairs' book, usually short stories for when I'm having a 10/15 minute break or waiting for food to cook in the oven. I recently finished a collection of short stories by Helen Dunmore (RIP) and have just started a volume by Stan Barstow. I get irritated if I try and read something demanding in short gulps - but I can handle short story collections easily, even with almost constant interruption.

The book that I'm waiting for with almost breathless anticipation is the new Kate Atkinson - 'Transcription'. I've been waiting for what seems like years for a new novel from her. It's due here on Wednesday (according to Amazon) so, apart from taking delivery of a new washing machine due the same day, I think I've already written off the second half of next week. I know exactly what I'll be doing - and it'll be both an upstairs & downstairs book. And I won't answer the phone or go to the front door or check my email...

Back
Top Bottom