What is your current "read"?

Middlemarch is brilliant. It actually started as two different novels, something I've done myself. But that is the only time George Eliot and me get mentioned in the same sentence.

I think Jane Austen is wonderful. Take her at face value and it all seems quite standard. Go a bit deeper and she is a total mickey taker. Northanger Abbey, for example, is just a complete spoof on the Gothic novels of the time.
Some of the Austen and Bronte novels came as freebies with one of my eReaders. Maybe I'll give them another go sometime. I think some of the TV series put me off. I'd rather read a book (or listen to an audiobook) than watch a TV adaptation of any book.

Luckily for us, Tory MP Andrea Leadsom is not a member of this forum. In case anyone missed out, she recently described Jane Austen as "one of our greatest living authors." And this was somebody who was perilously close to becoming prime minister (Leadsom, not Austen).

Luckily for us, Tory MP Andrea Leadsom is not a member of this forum. In case anyone missed out, she recently described Jane Austen as "one of our greatest living authors." And this was somebody who was perilously close to becoming prime minister (Leadsom, not Austen).

And she's been dead 200 years almost to the day - 18th July 1817.

I like the way they took the p*ss out of her on the news (Leadsom, not Austen). One newsreader even commented that she must be the Tory equivalent of Diane Abbott.....:roflmao:

I've just now finished the fourth of the Milleninum "trilogy" (written by David Lagercrantz). Jumps about a lot in the first few chapters and I found it difficult to keep track of the characters (Norwegian/Swedish/Russian names) but eventually it became difficult to put down.

Next is part 2 of Ken Follett's "Century Trilogy".

Catalan Chocolate & Dessert Designer Oriol Balaguer from my home City, Barcelona just recently published another book called Obssesion ..

Simply amazingly incredible photography & dessert masterpieces .. Each of the desserts, have a mini background which are quite amazingly amusing ..

oriolbalaguerbook4fotos15492188_1345241568834045_8598813893766738611_n.jpg

I've just now finished the fourth of the Milleninum "trilogy" (written by David Lagercrantz). Jumps about a lot in the first few chapters and I found it difficult to keep track of the characters (Norwegian/Swedish/Russian names) but eventually it became difficult to put down.

I did warn you :laugh:

I gave up reading "Snow Blind" for the time being. but will probably pick it up later. The Icelandic style of writing is definitely more difficult than Swedish/Danish/Norwegian styles. I am now "reading" Phantom by Jo Nesbo, and also reading "The Reaper" by Steven Dunne. Good bit of gore all round :D

On the subject of Icelandic fiction, Independent People by Haldor Laxness is, at least in my view, one of the great works of fiction you will have the pleasure to encounter.

Next is part 2 of Ken Follett's "Century Trilogy".

I delayed starting that one and slotted an easy read in it's place. The latest Rebus was as good as the rest.

Back
Top Bottom