What is your favo(u)rite pepper?

Wasn't it a guy called Webster who changed spellings back in the 20s because Americans were having difficulty reading? I guess it was also Webster who changed the pronunciation of "aluminium" because any more than 4 syllables were too difficult to handle.

[Edit: Webster had obviously not heard of "Philadelphia" at the time].

Well, you're certainly right about this, Yorky. Here's what I found out about all that (much more at the following link if you really want to know more: http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/ed...ritish-english-and-american-english-different):

The first answer is to blame Noah Webster, of Webster's Dictionary fame. He believed it was important for America, a new and revolutionary nation, to assert its cultural independence from Britain through language. He wrote the first American spelling, grammar, and reading schoolbooks and the first American dictionary. He was also an ardent advocate of spelling reform and thought words should be spelled more like they sound.

Many years before he published his well-known American Dictionary of the English Language, he published a much smaller, more radical dictionary he called a Compendious Dictionary that included spellings such as w-i-m-m-e-n for "women" and t-u-n-g for "tongue." That dictionary was skewered and he dialed down the spelling reform in his final masterpiece. Yet still, Noah Webster, his affection for spelling reform, and the success of his final dictionary in 1828 are the reasons Americans spell words such as "favor" without a "u" (1), "theater" with an "-er" instead of an "-re" at the end, "sulfur" with an "f" and not a "ph" in the middle, and "aluminium" as "aluminum

These are Padrón Peppers from the indigenious village of Padrón, Galicia, in north western Spain .. They have their " heat " .. They are usually sautéed in Spanish Evoo whole, with Sea Salt and are a Tapa served throughout Spain ..

PADRONES11811473_898476113552152_1699645265408088527_n.jpg

Last edited:
Well, you're certainly right about this, Yorky. Here's what I found out about all that (much more at the following link if you really want to know more: http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/ed...ritish-english-and-american-english-different):

The first answer is to blame Noah Webster, of Webster's Dictionary fame. He believed it was important for America, a new and revolutionary nation, to assert its cultural independence from Britain through language. He wrote the first American spelling, grammar, and reading schoolbooks and the first American dictionary. He was also an ardent advocate of spelling reform and thought words should be spelled more like they sound.

Many years before he published his well-known American Dictionary of the English Language, he published a much smaller, more radical dictionary he called a Compendious Dictionary that included spellings such as w-i-m-m-e-n for "women" and t-u-n-g for "tongue." That dictionary was skewered and he dialed down the spelling reform in his final masterpiece. Yet still, Noah Webster, his affection for spelling reform, and the success of his final dictionary in 1828 are the reasons Americans spell words such as "favor" without a "u" (1), "theater" with an "-er" instead of an "-re" at the end, "sulfur" with an "f" and not a "ph" in the middle, and "aluminium" as "aluminum
Just to confuse people even more, I have a Webster's International Dictionary published in the 1960s where the English spellings take precedence over the American ones. I also have a modern Stedman's medical dictionary published in the early 2000's where the spellings are primarily American, and an older edition where the spellings are most definitely English.

Just to confuse people even more, I have a Webster's International Dictionary published in the 1960s where the English spellings take precedence over the American ones. I also have a modern Stedman's medical dictionary published in the early 2000's where the spellings are primarily American, and an older edition where the spellings are most definitely English.

:hyper: @Duck is an expert in these things. I defer to him...

I kinda like the duality of this thread. Peppers/chilis, and written language.

One grows of the other, but we made the other grow of one.

@morning glory

Ancient Roman / Italian methods of preserving food with sun, salt and local olive oil created sun dried tomatoes and lesser known aubergine / eggplant treated in the same way but with these hot peppers in your hand and herbs !! in both Calabria and Basilicata ( the autonomous región in between Puglia and Calabria).

So, perhaps, preparing some aubergine with these could be quite interesting !

Have a lovely evening. Cool Photo !!

A friend of mine is calabrian...I tasted 'nduja during a lunch at his home and I still remember it was so spicy that it open also your ears...I like chili peppers but 'nduja is another planet ( at least for me).

In a bar in KL in the 90's one of my favourite snacks was what I called a "chili burger". Basically just a beef patty in a bun with tomato ketchup but with fresh chili padis. I'm sure they added more each time I ordered it to try and beat me. Anyway, a mate was with me one time and ordered the same. I told him that it was likely to be very hot (spicy) but he was not concerned. After the first (big) bite his nose definitely opened and he didn't speak for the following ten minutes.

Back
Top Bottom