What is your favorite beer?

Curious addendum to the Corona (soft drink) saga: the factory in South Wales that used to produce the stuff was turned into a recording studio called The Pop Factory (geddit?) and opened by none other than Tom Jones. It has since been reinvented again as a music venue, still with the same name.

Curious addendum to the Corona (soft drink) saga: the factory in South Wales that used to produce the stuff was turned into a recording studio called The Pop Factory (geddit?) and opened by none other than Tom Jones. It has since been reinvented again as a music venue, still with the same name.

Great story. I can just remember Corona but not horse drawn. I think it was a lorry we had.

Great story. I can just remember Corona but not horse drawn. I think it was a lorry we had.
In my younger days the local brewery and the suppliers of Corona etc still used horse-drawn drays, as did the coalmen and the milkmen, although the milkmen soon swapped to pull along transport, as the dairies were pretty local. The only people I can recall with motorised transport were the baker and the ice cream men (although one of them. who lived down our street, still had a trike). The only person in our street who had a car was the son of the our next door neighbours, who owned a TV and radio repair shop. His car used to double up as a delivery vehicle. In the mid-1950s, one of the girls who lived two doors away from us got run over while playing out in the road - by a lady on a bike! The first shops which were built near to us were built in 1958, after which only the milkmen and the ice cream men used to come regularly.

The aficionados of the Mallard Tavern like a guest beer and we have tested out a few brews from the Keltek Brewery in Cornwall. Keltek, not altogether surprisingly, is the Cornish word for Celtic. The Cornish language is still spoken in a handful of places and the county is rightly proud of its heritage and traditions. Cornwall has several breweries and many of the names of the beers reflect the culture and background. In some ways, Cornwall reminds me of County Cork with its fierce sense of identity and that spirit of rebellion.

And some pretty good beer as well.

The perfect beer for the Autumn Equinox. Late Red from Shepherd Neame brewery. https://www.shepherdneame.co.uk/beer/late-red

Supped in a local Pub as the sun went down - cheers!

20170922_173748.jpg

I do not have a fave beer, as I am a wine & sparkling wine enthusiast ..

However, if I were to order a beer at a Bar in Barcelona, it would be a blonde Galician beer or a black or blonde Mahou, our national beer or if they have imported, it would be a German black beer, possibly St. Paulie´s if the bar has a calling for it .. or Beck´s Black .. Otherwise I would go with a Coronita,
which is what Spain calls the Mexican beer Corona ..

Photo: Spain´s National Beer, Mahou .. This is served in the majority of Bars, Restaurants, Taverns and Bistros via the Bottle, Can or Draft .. We are large national producers. There is a Black, and 2 Blondes and 1 Without Alcohol ..
AABEERREDmahou__81080.jpg

Last edited:
I like hoppy.

Talking of hops, we acquired a small batch of bottles of Hophead, brewed by Dark Star, a brewery near Horsham. There are a few breweries in that vicinity, which is welcome after the sad demise of the King & Barnes brewery which was around for a very long time.

I'm glad I mentioned this because it spurred me to see if they had an online shop. They do, and even better, they sell Hophead mini-kegs. I see an order coming up.

https://store.darkstarbrewing.co.uk/collections/beer

Back
Top Bottom