What is your favorite beer?

Can anyone provide me with a sensible explanation of alcohol-free beer? To me, it seems like one of the most pointless things that exist on the planet and about as sensible as asking for an egg-free omelette.

In Qatar in the late 80s there were soft drinks and alcohol-free beer on general sale. All the soft drinks were sweet and not to my taste so it was alcohol-free beer or nowt. I believe it was "Kaliber" (which is brewed by Guinness). Bloody awful stuff.

As regular visitors to this thread will know, the doyens (and doyennes) of the Mallard Tavern are always on the lookout for something new and interesting when it comes to beer. The latest "discovery" is Stonehouse Brewery, a relatively new (2007) brewery based in Shropshire near the Welsh border. We got a mixed case of their beer and thus far, it is proving a big hit. There were six different ales and rather than list all of them, here's a picture from their website.

s1.jpg

I thought that this was going to be a winter beer only, like old ales often are, but since Adnams are still churning it out in March, we might as well have a bit more. The weekend tipple:

002.JPG

A quick glance at the St Peter's Brewery website revealed that they were selling five-litre kegs of Old Style Porter for the absurdly cheap price of £12 a shot, the beer being close to its use-by date. This, even with delivery costs, looked too good to miss out on, so we didn't. I reckon that we are looking at about £1.70 a pint at the most; not a bad deal at all. The porter was given a run out yesterday evening. At 5.1%, it's a bit pokey for a session beer, but is a very tasty drink with a hint of coffee and liquorice about it.

My husband likes Adnams, Ghost Ship and Broadside are his particular favourites.
We like both of those.

My favourite beer will always be Timothy Taylor's Landlord on draught. I don't see it very often, let alone get a chance to drink it.
I also like Thwaite's Wainwright.
I had a pleasant half of Tolly English Ale on Friday at a Green King pub.

Back
Top Bottom