What is your favorite beer?

I don't know about readily but it's what I was drinking last night. Their black ale.

I used to buy the odd bottle of that black beer in Edinburgh now and then, but sadly the off licence that sold it closed down and I haven't seen it for a while. A very nice drink indeed. Still, we manage to struggle on and have been enjoying Adnam's excellent Blackshore Stout this weekend.

Well, that was handy. A visit to the Hook Norton website to buy some beer for the World Cup proved most useful. There is a section entitled 'Delivery Charges' where it is stated unequivocally that there is a courier fee of £8. Since we wanted a couple of boxes, it didn't seem too outrageous. However, when you actually place the order, the delivery option defaults to 'free'.

We like this.

Right, that's the Hook Norton in place. We have a minipin of Hooky Bitter and one of Hooky Gold. The only minor irritant to buying beer like this in the summer months is having to shuttle them in and out of the fridge. If you leave it out, the beer is a little too warm. If you keep it in the fridge, the beer is too cold. However, this is hardly a problem that needs analysis on Newsnight, so we will get by.

For the draught beer that I (used to) drink I found the optimum temperature for both storage and serving was 10 degC which would not be possible where I live now without refrigeration of some kind (in the 18 years that I've been here I have not known the ambient temperature drop below 12 degC and that is rare).

Hooky Gold is on tap at the Mallard Tavern. It's a golden (who'd have thought?) and quite hoppy beer that is very quaffable at 4.1%. And quaffing has begun.

20180622_165852.jpg

The World Cup brings an abundance of thirsty ducks (and others) to the Mallard Tavern and the Hook Norton is now finished. However, there is salvation in the shape of the ever-reliable Adnams. They have produced a very pleasant and easy-drinking summer ale called Freewheel. At 3.6%, it is not going to knock you sideways. It is a very pale beer with a good hop taste and any sweetness comes from the fruitiness of the ale. An ideal brew for a warm summer's evening.

Well I can't drink at the moment just in case but;

My favourite mass produced beer is Guinness.

I use an app called Untappd to log and rate my beers and looking at that my two top rated beers were Jail Ale fom the Dartmoor Brewery and Golden Sands from the Teignworth Bewery.

The World Cup brings an abundance of thirsty ducks (and others) to the Mallard Tavern and the Hook Norton is now finished. However, there is salvation in the shape of the ever-reliable Adnams. They have produced a very pleasant and easy-drinking summer ale called Freewheel. At 3.6%, it is not going to knock you sideways. It is a very pale beer with a good hop taste and any sweetness comes from the fruitiness of the ale. An ideal brew for a warm summer's evening.

Sounds like a good session beer.

The Mallard is running a little low on beer, but help is at hand. A visit to the Hook Norton website provided the remedy. There beers are a very decent price and they are now offering free delivery if you spend £60. This works out very nicely for three cases, coming in at about £1.78 for a (half-litre) bottle. Good price, good beer. What's not to like?

I went to the dentist in Edinburgh the other day. Being a bit early, I decided to pop across to the Lidl shop over the road to see what they had in the way of beer. I ended up buying four bottles of their Hatherwood beer, all different ones just for a taste. Not tried yet, but soon will be. At £1.25 a bottle, it's hardly a major risk.

I'm not quite sure who brews this. In fact, it seems to have got around somewhat. It appears to have been brewed at Marston's, Shepherd Neame and Wychwood at various times.

Back
Top Bottom