What is your favorite beer?

I went to the dentist in Edinburgh the other day. Being a bit early, I decided to pop across to the Lidl shop over the road to see what they had in the way of beer. I ended up buying four bottles of their Hatherwood beer, all different ones just for a taste. Not tried yet, but soon will be. At £1.25 a bottle, it's hardly a major risk.

I'm not quite sure who brews this. In fact, it seems to have got around somewhat. It appears to have been brewed at Marston's, Shepherd Neame and Wychwood at various times.

That's a wide range of brewers. Also Hogs Back Brewery Co which was down the road from me when I lived in Hampshire

According to this website, Hatherwood is a pseudo-brewery: https://www.bunkerbrew.co.uk/tag/hatherwood/

From what I understand, the Hatherwood craft beer company does not exist, other than a guise under the mighty Lidl supermarket, each beer in the range seems to be subcontracted to some pretty famous U.K breweries to make them, in this case: the Banks Brewery under Marstons. Confused yet? Anyway, great session ale.

Wychwood is now part of the Marston's empire, so that could explain that particular link, but quite how Shepherd Neame got involved, I have no idea.

Further to the above, I found the lighter-strength Hatherwood beers a little bland, though perfectly drinkable. The Green Gecko was rather nice though, a quite tangy IPA. I haven't tried the porter as yet.

Last edited:
sitting at the airport. Colleen and I decided to have a beer at 930 am.... it tasted great.

20180921_094637.jpg
20180921_102639.jpg

Adnam's and St Peter's are both regular beers in this establishment. Both are, coincidentally, from Suffolk, but this weekend we've moved a bit further north in East Anglia to Norfolk and Woodforde's brewery. It's been a while since I had Woodforde's Wherry Bitter, but it's still as good as I remember it. A nice zingy taste with a hint of grapefruit. All this and Bure Gold and Nelson's Revenge to come in the next couple of weeks. I've never had either before, so I look forward to tasting them.

The Woodforde's Bure Gold is very pleasant. It's a golden ale with a citrus twang. There is a fruity sweetness that is nicely balanced by a hoppy bitterness. This may well come back on at some stage in the Mallard Tavern.

I would have to say root beer cause i am not a regular beer drinker. The taste is like blah.

I like a wheat beer from time to time, and this is one of my favourites. It's from the German brewer Erdinger. I find one of these to be a pleasant end of evening drink. And there's nothing wrong with a bit of weiss now and then...

PB100002.JPG

To me, Russian River's Pliney the Elder is the best beer I've ever had, but I recently stumbled across Modern Times Blazing World IPA that gives it a run for the money.

Why on Earth has Fuller's sold up to Japanese bland filthlager merchant Asahi? A brewery that's been around since 1845 and appears to be no financial trouble? I'm finding this hard to believe.

Back
Top Bottom