What is your favorite beer?

This a favorite of mine - Oude Geuze from 3 Fonteinen just south of Brussels, Belgium.

It's made using a very unusual process - very old hops are used, so there's no hop flavour - they're only used for preservation. The fermentation uses wild yeast and bacteria which simply drop in from the environment. There's no pitching of cultured yeast as happens in normal brewing, so it's generally brewed in autumn when it isn't too hot. The resulting beer (lambic) is then aged in wood barrels and finally different ages of lambic are blended and bottled. Younger lambic provides some sugar, so it referments in the bottle giving a champagne like fizz. It's sour, tart, funky and super refreshing!

It's a fantastic, artisanal product and now the name "Oude Geuze" is protected under EU law, so can only be produced in or near to Brussels.

View attachment 1423
Most interesting. However, I noticed the glass is emblazoned with the legend Mort Subite (which means) sudden death. :eek:The latter is a beer I remember well, having drank it quite a lot in France many moons ago. Don't know if it is the same thing.

A number of Scottish beers have very little hop content, the plant not growing in Scotland. This is one reason that a lot of traditional Scottish ales are very malty. In truth, I'm not keen on that style very much, as they tend to be a bit sweet.

There are, though, some interesting beers, such as Hebridean Gold (Isle of Skye Brewery) that uses porridge oats. This might not sound too appealing, but it's a lovely beer with quite a good hoppy bitterness.

Another curious brew is Kelpie, brewed by Williams Brothers. This is brewed using fresh seaweed ("kelpie") and is a dark ale that has coffee and chocolate flavours. The innovative Williams fellows also brew Fraoch, a heather ale mentioned earlier in this thread and Grozet, which contains gooseberries.

Just been to a motorcycle do and I've been trying some real cider [the kind you can't see through and with the lumps in it] and it's not bad at all
Was driving into street Somerset last Christmas to pick up a shotgun from a gun shop driving on the sat nav it took me through a housing estate ,right in the middle was a now urban farm,I suppose once in green belt,this farm sold the best cider I can remember ,you could try them from the barrel sweet dry or mix them ,never questioned the strength but I know there was some special hang overs from it ,cloudy but quite smooth

Most interesting. However, I noticed the glass is emblazoned with the legend Mort Subite (which means) sudden death. :eek:The latter is a beer I remember well, having drank it quite a lot in France many moons ago. Don't know if it is the same thing.

I smashed my 3 Fomteinen glass and Mort Subite was the only lambic glass I had. Mort Subite is now ultimately owned by Heineken and they sweeten their beers, so not really favored by purists!

I smashed my 3 Fomteinen glass and Mort Subite was the only lambic glass I had. Mort Subite is now ultimately owned by Heineken and they sweeten their beers, so not really favored by purists!
Not the same thing then. Still, I reckon a Sudden Death glass is quite cool even if the beer isn't!

I'm reminded of a visit to a pub last year that brought about one of those "oh, no, what have I said?" moments. I spotted a Brain's Dark pump clip and enthused, "Ooh, Brain's Dark, I've not had that in years."

My partner, whom we shall call Ms Duck, replied, "I've never had Brain's."

The moment she said it, she realised that this hadn't quite come out right. Luckily, I am not someone to make a big thing of such minor errors and I only remind her every couple of days or so.

A short trip to Copenhagen revealed a thriving micro-brewery and brew pub scene. All very welcome and it's good to see that the Carlsberg/Tuborg mega-breweries don't have it all to themselves.

There was a brew pub just round the corner from our hotel, serving about 15 different beers of all styles. Lots of shops sell bottled beer from micros and we picked up a couple of very tasty stouts.

Advice for anyone visiting Copenhagen with a tight budget: a 500 ml beer in a bar will cost around £5, but bottles cost at least half that in shops.

I don't like heavy beer or dark beers. My husband loves Guinness but I love lager and lime so Bud Lime is my summertime drink, I'll also drink Corona or Dos Equis with a slice of lemon or lime. It a nice refreshing drink. My other favourite beer is Alexander Keith's. It's brewed in Halifax, Nova Scotia. A great pale ale.

Cask ale, please.

duckbeer.jpg

I don't drink beer that often, but when I did I stuck with Miller Light. Then my sister introduced me to Newcastle and I've never gone back to Miller Light. Amazingly, Newcastle, although an import, is not any more expensive than our local beers. Not all bars carry it, but most stores do. Another thing, like cheese, that the English do better than we do.
I am not certain that I have a favorite beer. One beer that I do like is Bud's Black Label Crown, one of the newer exports of beer. I know that is not fancy or high dollar, but many of the beers that I have tried that have been high end, I haven't tried that often. I tend to like amber beers better than either dark or light. It is hard to find dark beer in this area though.

This is my current (festive) favourite as far as bottled beer goes: Wychwood's Dunkel Fester. On sale in Aldi for £1.25 for a 500ml bottle. 'A disturbingly dark beer'. Might even buy the T-shirt!

wychwood.jpg

Another 'bear' has surfaced here at my house. Seems my husband is a traitor of sorts inviting this competing beer in our home. Besides that I have some concerns as I am not real beer drinker. The occasional ginger ale might be welcomed, but somehow beers,wine and all kinds of 'spirits' have taken over my bar.....

Back
Top Bottom