What is your favorite beer?

Something I really enjoy is coming across beers I've never heard of. I spotted a porter from the rather bizarrely named Wooha Brewery in Nairn. Let's give it a bash being the standpoint of the Duckhouse, we did. Result - a fine, slightly smoky black beer with hints of dark chocolate, coffee and pleasing bitterness. You never know what you might find and you never know until you try.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ8-mePuZ5dCYGce7Lb1m8TXhHYJhiIH4mw2YWoGMrWRK9In0n-.jpg

This is the Korean beer soju...I do not drink beer as well my husband does not drink alcohol. But if there is gatherings or in some occasion he drinks this kind of beer.

A man with a van has just delivered a case of beer to our door, straight from the excellent St Peter's Brewery in Suffolk. We are considering buying thimbles from which to drink it, as today's news is telling us that drinking more than one pint in a day constitutes binge drinking. While I can see that hammering your liver into oblivion is not necessarily a great idea, the concept of sipping delicately at a single pint over the course of an entire Friday or Saturday evening strikes one as perhaps a little too cautious.

A man with a van has just delivered a case of beer to our door, straight from the excellent St Peter's Brewery in Suffolk. We are considering buying thimbles from which to drink it, as today's news is telling us that drinking more than one pint in a day constitutes binge drinking. While I can see that hammering your liver into oblivion is not necessarily a great idea, the concept of sipping delicately at a single pint over the course of an entire Friday or Saturday evening strikes one as perhaps a little too cautious.
I thought the guidance was that you should have at least 2 days off from drinking each week and that the maximum you should drink was 14 units, or in this case 7 pints . so that is 7 pints in 5 days... So you could have all 7 pints over the course of the weekend and lay off during the week and still meet the guidance... ?

Quote..
England's Chief Medical Officer, Dame Sally Davies, said: "Drinking any level of alcohol regularly carries a health risk for anyone, but if men and women limit their intake to no more than 14 units a week it keeps the risk of illness like cancer and liver disease low."
She added the aim of the guidelines was to give the public the most up-to-date scientific information to allow them to make "informed decisions" about their drinking.

This caused a lot of controversy over the last few days...I've been a home brewer for years....beer & wine. I'd already decided to cut back on the amount I drink before chrimbo, and I feel a lot better for it...but it's getting a little off topic, so back to what beer we like. :okay:

I have a great love for the Trappist ales...they really know how to brew a beer those monks do.

Quote..
England's Chief Medical Officer, Dame Sally Davies, said: "Drinking any level of alcohol regularly carries a health risk for anyone, but if men and women limit their intake to no more than 14 units a week it keeps the risk of illness like cancer and liver disease low."
She added the aim of the guidelines was to give the public the most up-to-date scientific information to allow them to make "informed decisions" about their drinking.

This caused a lot of controversy over the last few days...I've been a home brewer for years....beer & wine. I'd already decided to cut back on the amount I drink before chrimbo, and I feel a lot better for it...but it's getting a little off topic, so back to what beer we like. :okay:

I have a great love for the Trappist ales...they really know how to brew a beer those monks do.
The full guidance states

The UK's chief medical officers say new research shows any amount of alcohol can increase the risk of cancer.
The new advice says men and women who drink regularly should consume no more than 14 units a week - equivalent to six pints of beer or seven glasses of wine.
Pregnant women should not drink at all.
It also says if people drink, it should be moderately over three or more days and that some days should be alcohol-free.
Nor should people "save up" their units and drink them all in one or two goes. Heavy drinking sessions increase the risk of accidents and injury, it says

From here www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35255384 and here www.nhs.uk/Livewell/alcohol/Pages/alcohol-units.aspx

But on the note of beer, my favourites remain fraoch and dark island.

If my move to Canberra comes off, then I will have 3-4 years of exploring Australia's growing micro brewery scene or sussing out home brewing and making the most of visits back to the UK! and not having to worry about UK guidelines! :drink:

Mind you I may have to consider Australian guidelines instead... I wonder what they are?

The full guidance states

Mind you I may have to consider Australian guidelines instead... I wonder what they are?

I just asked an Aussie of my acquaintance. His reply was, "As long as your liver's still working..."

I suspect this may not reflect the official Australian government position.

Besides which, we discovered the solution. Having opened a mini-keg of a very tasty Yeovil beer on Friday, the method became obvious. If you use a pint glass that has no measuring line, every time you fill it, it will be less than a pint. So at no stage will you be drinking a pint during the course of an evening.

How did you wrangle a free case of beer?

This is our weekend sorted...

View attachment 2216

It's quite a long story, but essentially emanates from a mishap with a previous order. Being a long-standing customer probably helps, though Hook Norton are pretty good on the rare occasions that anything goes wrong.

Mmm, Harviestoun. I like Bitter & Twisted (insert own joke here), at least in draught form. The bottled version is a bit stronger and I find it a bit wishy-washy. Their Old Engine Oil is a good, if rather vigorous, stout and they do some very nice seasonal beers, too.

It's quite a long story, but essentially emanates from a mishap with a previous order. Being a long-standing customer probably helps, though Hook Norton are pretty good on the rare occasions that anything goes wrong.

Mmm, Harviestoun. I like Bitter & Twisted (insert own joke here), at least in draught form. The bottled version is a bit stronger and I find it a bit wishy-washy. Their Old Engine Oil is a good, if rather vigorous, stout and they do some very nice seasonal beers, too.
My husband came home with them as proud as punch earlier in the week. He used his own money after finding them in an off-license. We have run out of our supply from our holiday back in October so now have to make do with what we can find locally. He refuses flatly to tell me how much they cost so I'm guessing he had very little change from £10 and suspect they cost more! But he's happy, so that's all that counts...

I've said it before - these same people said OK to the use of thalidomide. I find their superior attitude offensive and demeaning. I pay my taxes and try to follow the laws of my country but I will not be told how to live by a collection of egotistical scientists who change their views as often as they change their socks.
Back on topic - I'll be trying out some more research tonight !

I prefer Guinness,its taste keeps me moving.Its a classic drink to have.After taking a few bottles one can drive because it doesn't cause a lot of hallucinations.Secondly,it does not bring hangovers after taking.
Hallucinations!!! No beers should give you that! Guinness is a medium strength dark beer (4% I think) and will get you just as drunk as any other beer if you drink enough. You really shouldn't drink and drive if you have more than two 330ml bottles!

Hallucinations!!! No beers should give you that! Guinness is a medium strength dark beer (4% I think) and will get you just as drunk as any other beer if you drink enough. You really shouldn't drink and drive if you have more than two 330ml bottles!

There are a few Belgian beers that might cause the sighting of a pink elephant or two. I remember having a nervous sip of one in a bar in Brussels. This particular brew was 13.7%. You wouldn't want to be knocking that back all evening.

I'm also reminded of a fellow that I used to work with. He swore that you couldn't get drunk on organic beer. I suggested he try drinking ten pints of Caledonian Brewery Organic Ale (5%) and letting me know how he felt afterwards.

Back
Top Bottom