What is your favorite beer?

There are a few Belgian beers that might cause the sighting of a pink elephant or two. I remember having a nervous sip of one in a bar in Brussels. This particular brew was 13.7%. You wouldn't want to be knocking that back all evening.

I'm also reminded of a fellow that I used to work with. He swore that you couldn't get drunk on organic beer. I suggested he try drinking ten pints of Caledonian Brewery Organic Ale (5%) and letting me know how he felt afterwards.

Try this one then (its in your neck of the woods!) :http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/britain-sets-new-record-worlds-3818060. Its only £50 pus per 275ml!
brewmeister-snake-venom-275ml-beer.jpg

Think its unavailable these days though....?

Last edited:
Try this one then (its in your neck of the woods!) :http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/britain-sets-new-record-worlds-3818060. Its only £50 pus per 275ml!
View attachment 2316

While we have some very good breweries in Scotland, there are exceptions such as the execrable Brew Dog with its endless gimmicks and penchant for making strong and largely undrinkable beers. There was a trend, which thankfully seems to have petered out somewhat, for pubs to sell beer that was of such strength that it was impossible to have a session in them. I can recall going to one bar that had no less than eight real ales, the "lightest" of which was 5.5%. This is ridiculous.

Scene: a bar somewhere in Central Scotland:

Barman: what can I get you, sir?
Colin Bampot: pint of Eric Bloodaxe's Skullcleaver
Barman: and for the lady?
Bampot: that is for the lady. I'll have a pint of Cosmic Deathray
Barman: coming up. Any bar snacks, sir?
Bampot: aye, two energy saving lightbulbs and a packet of razor blades.

View attachment 2316

I thought there was some kind of problem with Brewmeister - they either overstated the alcohol content or just added spirit? I think Guinness still recognizes Brewdog's "Sink the Bismark" as having made the strongest beer. I tried it once, but wouldn't again.

Guinness! Either draught or bottled but always stick to what you started with. Never ever mix the two!

As far as strong beers etc are concerned, in the 1970s I worked as an import shipping clerk and had under my care two tankers of (what was then a new) Belgian lager. It was declared as so strong it was stopped by HM Customs for further testing (!) and it was several weeks before the tankers were allowed on their way. I found one pub in Essex that started selling it and went in to try some. The price for a small glass was on a par with the price of a double Scotch and the effect about the same. After a pint, you were anyone's :D

I usually drink wine instead of beer but my favorite "beer" is Guinness (I know, I know, it's a stout). I've had Guinness here but it's not the same as in Ireland and I want to go back so bad. Otherwise if I do drink beer at home it's generally Bud Light and sometimes Coors Light. A couple of years ago I went to New Hampshire and got some Beergarita's by Bud Light. Supposed to be a cross between a beer and a margarita I believe. They weren't bad but I found them really sweet so I couldn't drink too much. Not that I drink much anyway because I'm such a lightweight when it comes to alcohol.

Bud+Light+Lime+Beergarita+Collection.jpg

I love stout such as Guinness or Murphy's but as a keen home brew fan I love Cooper's stout which I make myself at home.
Here's an example of the last batch I made which was awesome, even if I say so myself.
I will be making a new batch in the next week or two so I have some for drinking in the summer months.
The good thing with the home brew is you can tweak it to make it more to your taste plus it works out at only about 50p per pint - happy days!

Attachments

• 100_0812-438.jpg
    100_0812-438.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 206
I love stout such as Guinness or Murphy's but as a keen home brew fan I love Cooper's stout which I make myself at home.
Here's an example of the last batch I made which was awesome, even if I say so myself.
I will be making a new batch in the next week or two so I have some for drinking in the summer months.
The good thing with the home brew is you can tweak it to make it more to your taste plus it works out at only about 50p per pint - happy days!
I've been thinking that I should brew my own. But my partner drinks so much beer that I fear it might be a rod for my own back!. I checked out the Cooper's site. From one kit you get 40 pints. That's brilliant and very cheap. However... snd this is a big 'however', my partner drinks 40 pints in a week. So it would mean a lot of space and brewing all the time. Yes, I know...

I really like Warsteiner right now. used to drink miller light can't take it anymore. also like Chimay, or Tucher, or on a really hot day a good Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy is great!

I'm not much of a beer drinker but I love Corona, or Sol with a little wedge of lime in the top, delicious!

When I lived in Oxford in the 1980s, there were three breweries of note; Morrell's, Morland's and Hook Norton. Sadly, Morrell's was sold down the river and the brewery site turned into yuppie flats. Morland's was gobbled up by the odious Greene King and while beer (notably the dismal Old Speckled Hen) is still brewed under the Morland name, it bears no resemblance to the fine ale brewed in Abingdon.

There was also Brakspear's in Henley, which vanished for a while and was resurrected by the Wychwood (Hobgoblin) brewery, which was just starting out in those days and is now under the Marston's umbrella.

Happily, Hook Norton still survives and they continue to make lovely beer. With the European Championships almost upon us, it seemed only reasonable to avail ourselves of some, so this is getting opened very, very soon...

013.JPG

When I first moved to Scotland in 1992, you could count the number of breweries without taking your socks off. Indeed, you could have counted them even if you had a couple of fingers missing.

Today, there are around 80 breweries in Scotland. That is some increase in a period of 24 years. I suspect that many other places have seen a dramatic increase in the number of independent and/or microbreweries.

I find this hugely encouraging. The vast brewing multinationals may still dominate, but the demand for good, local beer remains high. Of course, it means harder work for those of us that like to sample as many different beers as we can, but somebody has to do it.

Back
Top Bottom