What is your favorite beer?

Tomorrow is..........

thirstday.jpg

My favourite beer is a ukrainian beer called Lvivske. I tried it at a Ukrainian Festival I went to and loved it since. I also love Kronenberg's 1664 blanc:cheers:
14572901_10154488125456544_5147634482626484352_n.jpg

When I was drinking, I preferred wine coolers and mixed drinks. (Top shelf liquor only). Beer was either Michelob or a dark beer.
I could drink other beers but I really preferred not to. Probably why I was rarely drunk if only beer was available at parties.
Now I don't drink except about once every 5 years.

I'm still working on it - finding my favourite that is. It is indeed a terrible burden but I feel it is my duty to keep on sampling :wacky:
Strangely an Indian beer we sampled a good few years ago when in Israel seems to be coming back into focus - trouble is I can't remember what it was called :scratchhead:

That's two of the four Yeovil mini-kegs despatched. First to go was the Summerset (geddit?), a pale and citrus 4.2% ale that we've had a couple of times before. The second to go was the mysteriously-named YOLO #11, another pale beer brewed with Citra hops (mmm, like Citra hops). Very tasty.

Next time - working in the new year - some black stuff. Stout Hearted is, shockingly enough, a stout and a very fine one it is, too. Once that's been dealt with, only the Hop 127 (don't know who thinks these names up) remains. This one promises hoppiness and spicy fruits.

As Ken Dodd almost sang, Hoppiness, Hoppiness, the only thing that I possess...

Monteith's, presumably. That is a very nice beer. We managed to find some in an off-licence in Edinburgh a while back, but I haven't seen it lately. They also do a porter and a velvet stout, though I've never managed to get hold of any. The Beers of Europe site has a few of their beers, but not those ones, unfortunately.

We came across Yeovil Ales purely by chance. Someone who was visiting the area took a tour of the brewery and bought us some beer. The ale proving highly enjoyable, we help them to dispose of a little from time to time.

I like variety, though it's fair to say there is a lot of diversity in dark beer. I enjoy lighter-coloured beers, with the caveat that they are hoppy and bitter. If there is sweetness, I'd rather it was fruity rather than sugary or malty. I've never liked the traditional Scottish 80 shilling ales, because they tend to be malty-sweet. This is understandable because hops don't grow in Scotland, but of course we get hops from all sorts of places these days, so beer is more diverse than ever before.

It's interesting, though, to try some of the beers based on old fashioned methods, such as heather (fraoch) ale and beer made from porridge oats. Williams Brothers do a good version of the former and there is an excellent porridge oat ale from the Isle of Skye brewery.

I remember Atholl Brose.......

Albeit over 40 years!

Yes, and indicative of that curious Scottish affliction for love of whisky and tooth-rottingly sweet things.

Even now, just the mention of Drambuie makes me shudder.

Back
Top Bottom