The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
1:07 AM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
2011-10-09-cumin-586x322.jpg

This is a difficult question to answer, I know. If you were to ask me this question 6 months ago, I would probably have a different answer. But, for me, the one that I keep coming back to again and again is the one I've depicted above: cumin. What really changed the game for me was when I decided to buy cumin seeds instead of ground cumin: while the powder is great, there's nothing quite like releasing the potent flavors yourself by grinding the seeds yourself (particularly after roasting them in a pan).

Cumin is most obvious in Mexican dishes, but also adds an extra boost to Middle Eastern, Indian, and North African dishes.

If you can't think of just one that you'd put on top of the heap, list your multiple favorites.

My favourite herbs right now are dill and tarragon but that is probably just a phase I'm going through.

As for spices that is much more difficult. I do have a thing about juniper berries for their fruity yet resinous flavour with mushrooms, game or meat for that matter. Also, black cardamom for its musky earthy scent. Fenugreek seeds for their curry instant hit. And so many more!

Depends on the dish I'm making, and what flavor profile I'm going for. I'm partial to Italian, so basil oregano and parsley. I'm fond of Rosemary and tarragon. Not too fond of earthy or spicy flavors.

I think I tasted cumin 1 or 2 times in my life and most likely in some Indian restaurant. It is not a very used spice by these parts and honestly, I do not know how to use it,I'm quite unprepared,even if I would like to give it a try.
To stay in a more daily personal environment, I use a lot thyme and also rosemary. When I can find it here, I also use myrtle (which in Sardinia grows almost everywhere) .. sage is another great ally of mine. And turmeric too

I use a lot thyme and also rosemary.
I find that I use thyme in a lot of things...more things than cumin, to be honest. And, I use rosemary and thyme in every stock I make. I think I didn't pick it because I use it so often that I consider it to be a daily necessity, almost like ground black pepper.

It's really no contest as far as I'm concerned. Cumin is the one spice I use far more than any other - and the one that I'd miss the most. I use it in both seed and powder forms, and occasionally put the two forms together in the same dish. Like tonight …

https://www.cookingbites.com/thread...-today-november-2018.13681/reply?quote=136596

I use thyme almost every day (and lemon juice too). I use caraway seeds very often in bread as well.

Last edited:
I too use cumin oriander fennel fenugreek seeds, dry roasted then ground for curries along with other stuff. But day to day my fave is basil and coriander ( cilantro) leaf picked out of my garden. I love rubbing and smelling on my hands. If I'm cooking Italian then basil and oregano come into play. I prolly have 50 different types of seeds and dried herbs and spices. I also use a lot of all spice, 5 spice cinnamon etc making my tomato sauce.

Russ

Last edited by a moderator:
Herbs: Coriander (because it's everywhere and in everything here) and basil for certain tomato dishes/sauces. Fresh mint for laarb.

Spices: Chilli powder, cumin seed, coriander seed and black mustard seed.

Fresh chillis by the shed load! Black pepper by the bucket full.

Herbs: Coriander (because it's everywhere and in everything here) and basil for certain tomato dishes/sauces. Fresh mint for laarb.

Spices: Chilli powder, cumin seed, coriander seed and black mustard seed.

Fresh chillis by the shed load! Black pepper by the bucket full.

I'm loads and loads of pepper too. I think we'd get on?

Russ

I'm sure I've said this before, but there is nothing like the aroma of freshly toasted and ground cumin seeds!:okay: Cumin is used in so many cuisines and is probably my favorite spice.

I find that I use thyme in a lot of things...more things than cumin, to be honest. And, I use rosemary and thyme in every stock I make. I think I didn't pick it because I use it so often that I consider it to be a daily necessity, almost like ground black pepper.

I understand you perfectly. The thyme, as well as rosemary, is present in every recipe I prepare, sometimes even sweets. Ever tried in an herbal tea?

Back
Top Bottom